Yikes! Look What I Found....

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Yikes! Look What I Found....

Post by Joe Guy »

This was outside near my kitchen door ready to pounce on me as I walked out....

S 3.jpg
S 3.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 163 times

I ran it through Google to identify it and it came up as a Noble False Widow. According to Wikipedia, "They are considered one of the most dangerous spiders in western Europe."

I'm lucky that I don't live in western Europe.

:D

BoSoxGal

Re: Yikes! Look What I Found....

Post by BoSoxGal »

Did you miss the map on that Wikipedia entry which shows an invasive established presence of this species of spider in California, USA?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:25 am
Did you miss the map on that Wikipedia entry which shows an invasive established presence of this species of spider in California, USA?
I did see that. They were reported down in southern California in Ventura County. I wonder if I should report this to anyone.

Anyway, I caught it and released it in my backyard far from the house. I didn't have the heart to smash it even though I know it would eat me if it could.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I think the wiki entry said the bite is similar to a wasp or bee sting - they don’t really have dangerous spiders in Europe, I guess?

I’m sure your local extension field office would appreciate the information if you want to share it.

Here’s some folks out there tracking this spider’s progress as an invasive in California https://cisr.ucr.edu/invasive-species/european-spider

The wiki entry said this is the most invasive spider in the world, and it is apparently partial to the temperate climate of coastal areas so a good fit for California.

Enjoy your new friend! I love spiders.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

As I recall, there are not many, if any, spiders that can kill humans, even in Australia. Make you sick, maybe, but not deadly. Not pelasant to be bitten, but something you'll survive.

Roy

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:07 am
Enjoy your new friend! I love spiders.
I named him Bruno but then realized that he is probably a she so I changed her name to Bruna.
Big RR wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:11 pm
As I recall, there are not many, if any, spiders that can kill humans, even in Australia. Make you sick, maybe, but not deadly. Not pelasant to be bitten, but something you'll survive.

I'm not too worried about this spider killing me but the idea that if I was bitten, I'd survive but I could get sick isn't very comforting... :D

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know that spider in particular, but most spider bites are more like bee stings than illnesses. I recall a coworker of mine once had a nest of spiders in his apartment, and he was bitten multiple times. HE swelled up a lot (like and allergic response) and had a variety of bums on him, but when he went to the hospital they said it wasn't dangerous and gave him steroids for the allergic response. They weren't sure what sort of spiders, but thought it may have been black widows.

But your concern makes sense; he moved into a hotel for a week while the exterminators dealt with the problem.