Lahaina Maui

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Lahaina Maui

Post by BoSoxGal »

I just felt like there needed to be a thread.

I think the death toll which is already awful is going to be a lot more awful.

This morning's coverage included interviews with residents who are bitterly angry at public officials, law enforcement, the electric company. They've suffered such a horrific trauma seeing their entire community leveled and probably many hundreds dead - of course their anger is a natural response.

But this does seem to be a case of a perfect (horrible) storm of circumstances resulting in something that wasn't going to give anyone time to raise a warning or anyone time to evacuate in an orderly and safe fashion. Just horrific.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Re: Lahaina Maui

Post by rubato »

I’ve only been there once. And a friend owned a house on prison street. Such a total catastrophe … I’m glad part of the banyan survives.

Strange place. From Lahaina you can see the mountains where it rains every day
but locally ur is ca. 15 in a year like downtown San Jose or Los Angeles.

It is hard to grasp the totality of. The loss.

BoSoxGal

Re: Lahaina Maui

Post by BoSoxGal »

I really wish I’d seen it before this happened, and I feel so badly for all the survivors who will never live there again.

I can’t believe that people are already calling devastated residents asking if they’re selling. People are so gross.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/15/us/hawai ... index.html
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan