I Played God Today... sort of....

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

I Played God Today... sort of....

Post by Joe Guy »

I was standing on my front porch when I noticed a spider web in a corner above me. Then I saw movement and noticed a fairly good sized spider wrestling with something. When I moved closer I saw that it had tangled up a wasp in its web and the wasp was fighting and struggling to get free. For a moment I hesitated and wondered if I should just let nature take its course. Then I thought, no, there's plenty of other bugs around for the spider to dine on - and I like wasps. They're as good for my garden as spiders. They should be working together, not eating each other.

So I took my knife out of my pocket and poked into the web between the spider and the wasp. The spider jumped back and the wasp, which was partially wrapped in web, stuck to the knife blade. I carefully removed the wasp from the web and laid it down on the concrete porch where it lay there struggling. As I looked very closely I could see that one of its wings was stuck to the side of its abdomen. It was bonded by spider webbing. There was a little space between the wing and abdomen and somehow I was able to cut the web away. It began to attempt to fly away but then I noticed that the wasp had more webbing stuck to the end of its abdomen which made it adhere to the porch floor. I managed to remove that webbing with the knife blade and then the wasp rolled over, shook its head and flew away.

BoSoxGal

Re: I Played God Today... sort of....

Post by BoSoxGal »

David Attenborough could do a whole special on Joe’s yard.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Re: I Played God Today... sort of....

Post by Long Run »

This Durrell moment brought to you by our favorite Guy.