Israel at War

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Burning Petard

Re: Israel at War

Post by Burning Petard »

Wow! Here is at least one point (please note the dimensions of a point, thus it is not a big agreement) where I agree with Liberty. I see no good ending for any one in this battle for Gaza. The people of Israel are led by war mongers. Netanyahu has long pushed for a real shooting war with his neighbors. Now the whole nation is suffering while most of the rest of world just says 'enough, already!' Israel is not winning any popularity contests. It is becoming a place where most Israelis really do not want to be.

I support the people of Israel but not their government. I have an Israel flag pin and wear it regularly along with the flag of Ukraine. I support the Palestinian people. There is no nation of Palestine. Those sad people have been screwed by everyone since 1948 when Jordan backed out of the agreement to provide a homeland for the Palestinians at the same time a home for Jews was established as Israel. Big RR said earlier in this thread: "I think Israel was pretty shortsighted in encouraging settlements and bulldozing Palestinian homes to prevent return of Palestinians to those areas. "
I think the purpose of those settlements was to shelter IDF among civilians just as Netanyahu complains that the bad guys do it in Gaza. The leadership of Israel demonstrated its own incompetence back in October when there was an armed invasion into Israeli territory and non-combatant citizens were dying for FOUR HOURS AND FORTY-TWO MINUTES before the IDF could get an armed response there. Today I purchased at Amazon a watermelon pin and a keffiyeh scarf.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Wow MEade, you sure told me. :shrug

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Good opinion piece in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ide-israel

I see in the news today that we are finally demanding a cease fire by Israel.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Which is stupid.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

This message is brought to you by Society if the Perpetually Blind and Toothless.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Why do you want Israel wiped out?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't; but a fight to the death doesn't work. They need to find a way to live together.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:22 pm
I don't; but a fight to the death doesn't work. They need to find a way to live together.
Like Rome and Carthage?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And where are they both today? Shoot until you don't hear anymore moaning really makes little sense. Peaceful coexistence is a lot more difficult, but it can work.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:27 pm
And where are they both today? Shoot until you don't hear anymore moaning really makes little sense. Peaceful coexistence is a lot more difficult, but it can work.
Only when both sides are willing. Here,they're not.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:32 pm
Big RR wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:27 pm
Only when both sides are willing. Here,they're not.
Both sides are rarely willing, each would much rather be the victor; but they find it is still the best alternative. And, FWIW, it is up to the rest of us to help them reach that conclusion, especially when one side is supported by us..

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
The problem is that is not what Hamas wants; Hamas wants to murder, rape and subjugate the Jews and most likely even exterminate them. As long as Hamas is able to make trouble there can never be peace. Face it this episode demonstrates that most of the third world is anti-Israeli and Anti-American and pro-Russian or at least the leadership thereof is, we do not know how prevalent those views are, but we allow millions of those people to enter our country. Does that seem like a wise idea?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:45 pm

Both sides are rarely willing, each would much rather be the victor; but they find it is still the best alternative. And, FWIW, it is up to the rest of us to help them reach that conclusion, especially when one side is supported by us..
One has vowed to eradicate the other. Their charter includes it. You cannot negotiate with that.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:54 pm
Big RR wrote:
Like Rome and Carthage?
In other words: genocide works, as long as you finish the job.

But do you really think the rest of the world is willing to let Israel "finish the job"? Because at this point Israel is just creating more (new, future) Palestinian terrorists faster than it's killing armed Hamas militants.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Famine in Gaza

Ireland steps up

The Irish know a thing or two about famine and attempted genocide.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Because at this point Israel is just creating more (new, future) Palestinian terrorists faster than it's killing armed Hamas militants.
And also terrorists who will be much less likely to compromise and ultimately end this conflict. Sure, there are some in Hamas (and Israel for that matter) who would settle for nothing less than the eradication of the other side, but there are others who are more sensible. But terrorists forged in this strife are far less likely to be in the latter group, making this conflict go on for generations. The intelligent voices will be silenced by the shouting.

Sad, but it plays well for Netanyahu's popularity among the idiots; it looks like Orwell was right. Some people love to be manipulated, it saves them from having to think.
Last edited by Big RR on Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I revise my post up above about the four hour 42 minute delay in responding to the invasion. I now think those jewish villages were bait for the Zionists must be Destroyed! crowd. The more than 4 hour delay was to give the fish plenty of time to swallow the bait. Yesterday evening I hear an IDF spokesperson tell the world that the enclave of terrorists in the hospital has been destroyed, with no civilian casualties (and the hospital was destroyed but that is just normal collateral damage.)

Reminded me of the American line in Iraq that we do not do torture. If we Americans do it, then it must not be torture.

The IDF are all modern civilized liberal democratic people. If the Hospital staff are dead, they must have been terrorists. The IDF does not kill civilians. We will probably hear eventually that the remaining Jewish hostages all converted to fundamentalist Muslim and became terrorist. Stockholm Syndrome, don't you know.

snailgate.