Israel at War

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Re: Israel at War

Post by BoSoxGal »

Iran strikes Israel

Where is this going next?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

That was expected. Tho to answer
Your question that depends on Israel.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Ronald Reagan's Star Wars vision appears to be coming a reality; in another 25 to 50 years, it may be perfected. Reagan knew he was planting a seed, and he knew it would come to fruition long after he was gone. So, after it's perfect we will have Ronald Reagan to thank for saving the world from nuclear war. The question is before that happens will Democrats have changed the narrative to make it Obama's dream.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:32 am
Ronald Reagan's Star Wars vision appears to be coming a reality; in another 25 to 50 years...
What gives you that impression?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I must have missed the part where any of those missiles were launched from/shot down in space.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And even if "star wars" does work, what did Reagan do--make a speech about something I doubt he understood much about? It's kind of like saying FDR made the first atomic bomb.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Or H G Wells masterminded the Apollo space program
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Not to mention a working time machine when it is completed.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Antimissile systems have been in development since World War II, they were not "Ronald Reagan's Star Wars vision." (And "Star Wars" was the derisive name given to proposed space-based weapons that would have militarized space in violation of international agreements.) The Soviet Union developed the first functional ABM system in the early 1960s.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Yes, there were antiballistic missile systems in place in the 60s and an ABM treaty was entered into while LBJ was president; I recall Reagan's Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) which involved a shell game of mobile antiballistic missiles that were shuttled around so "they" wouldn't know where they were, a violation of the ABM treaty that was justified by a disingenuous argument that I have forgotten. W withdrew from the ABM treaty and Russia (after it fell apart) retaliated by withdrawing from the START treaty in place at the time.

Edited to add: Sorry for one bad recollection--the shuttle system was proposed for the MX missiles and as one of the may alternatives considered during the Carter administration and initially embraced by Reagan, although it was not implemented, but the MX was an ICBM and not an antiballistic missile. The shuttle system was part of the SDI to help defend land based missiles, but the main defensive part of SDI was employing ABMs and laser defenses (land and space based).

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:57 pm
Not to mention a working time machine when it is completed.
How do you know it hasn't, huh? Huh? Innit?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Because, if it had, someone would already have gone back in time and strangled Trump in his crib.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:20 pm
Because, if it had, someone would already have gone back in time and strangled Trump in his crib.
Everybody kills Hitler on their first trip.
GAH!

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:45 pm
And even if "star wars" does work, what did Reagan do--make a speech about something I doubt he understood much about? It's kind of like saying FDR made the first atomic bomb.
I give Reagan credit for the anti-missile technology that is developing same as I give FDR Credit for the nuclear bomb. Neither man was a technician and neither understood the technology they were promoting, but both men promoted programs that had and will have profound consequences; the only difference is Reagan's vision will take much longer to come to fruition.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The two things Reagan pushed were 'Brilliant Pebbles' which was space based and consisted of thousands of satellites equipped with missiles to attach incoming ICBMs; and project Excalibur which used laser beams. Neither came to anything, IIRC.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Andy, a true believer knows that if anything remotely like either of those is workable 2,000 years from now, it's Ronald Raygun that they'll be talking about, not to mention the A10 Warthog (DaVinci) and Tesla cars (Faraday).

We silly people just don't know how to figure out who is responsible for things. Club Med - Adam and Eve. Ivory aphrodisiacs - Hannibal. The list goes on.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

One thing Meade--I do give Reagan credit for promoting a technology he did not understand; why this translates to credit in any way for an invention is beyond me.

I ttink we should develop a warp drive se we can travel above the speed of light and travel the stars. I have no idea how this will be accomplished or if what warp drive is, but if and when it is developed, I should be given the credit.
Last edited by Big RR on Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm
.....I ttink we should develop a warp drive se we can travel above the speed of light and travel the stars. I have no idea how this will be accomplished or if what warp drive is, but if and when it is developed, I should be given the credit.
You and Gene Rodenberry.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 pm
You and Gene Rodenberry.
I dunno, Roddenberry invented the flip phone and you see how long that lasted.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/best-flip-phone/

Best Flip Phone for 2024
Samsung's Galaxy Z Flip 5 is our top choice for 2024.