What's special about $19?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Methuselah

What's special about $19?

Post by Methuselah »

Many TV ads for different topics say the price for the item or service is $19/month. Why would an advertiser think this is an appealing price?

MajGenl.Meade

Re: What's special about $19?

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Why is blue?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Methuselah wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:22 am
Many TV ads for different topics say the price for the item or service is $19/month. Why would an advertiser think this is an appealing price?
It’s not $20 or more, so it seems like a modest amount to pledge monthly for helping abused and neglected animals or kids with cancer or kids going hungry around the world. Same principle applies to people who spend their pocket change on merch rather than charity. <$20 is pocket change these days, welcome to the 2020s.

This is the same marketing psychology that applies when merchants charge $X.99 for something instead of just charging $Y.00.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Also, I'm not sure of the amount, but I think there is (or at least was) a way that charitable deductions up to a limit (I think $250 for single, $500 for a couple) could be deducted without giving up the standard deduction; this would fall within the single person limit (or each spouse could donate it and write it off, without needing to itemize on your return). I'm sure that's not lost among those who craft the ads.