Nostradragnetus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Nostradragnetus

Post by Joe Guy »

wesw

Re: Nostradragnetus

Post by wesw »

why was colonel potter older in the 1950 s than he was in the 1960s?

not smoking pot must have been the fountain of youth...

ponce de leon should have just layed off the weed

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Joe--if I recall this episode, I think it was the one where the guy and his wife were having a reefer madness party at the end, and the high parents ended up killing their baby (either drowning in the tub or put in the oven, I don't recall. It was as bad as the worst of the anti-drug we had to watch in school around the same time. I used to watch Dragnet at the time, and recall another anti-drug episode which had Mark Hammil as a guy distributing LSD in the park (I think in blue makeup, but I'm not sure)--another howler. Dragnet was funner than many of the sitcoms of the time.

It's been years since I saw it, but I'd bet some of the rerun channels broadcast Dragnet episodes.

Wes--now pot ages you? Is there no end to the evil and depravity of this cursed substance? :lol:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I think Willie Nelson was gonna get old and wrinkled either way - at least he was mellow on the trip to old age!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:54 pm
It's been years since I saw it, but I'd bet some of the rerun channels broadcast Dragnet episodes.
I've seen episodes of Dragnet on MeTV in early morning hours a few times and I just looked it up on Amazon and you can watch season 1 from 1967 for free if you have Prime. It really is one of the funniest non-comedy tv shows ever made. It's especially funny when Sgt Friday gives one of his lectures.

I don't recall ever seeing it but the original Dragnet - also with Jack Webb - started in 1951, according to Wikipedia.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Actually, as I recall, Dragnet started as a radio show with Jack Webb as Friday; this became the 50s TV series. In the early 60s I recall a lot of black and white episodes which were from the 50s (Wiki said it ran 51-59 and started up again in 67) . Each episode wa s pretty much the same, and Friday's lectures were a hoot.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I had a boyfriend in college who loved to watch Dragnet when we were baked - it’s very funny when you’re baked. For several years I had a cat named Chesney Guthrie, after a witness on one of the episodes we watched. We pissed ourselves laughing over old Chesney - who was actually young and sort of a hippie type.

Strike that, I’ve misremembered. I looked up that character on magic IMDB and found this bit which comprised the appearance of Chet Stratton as Chesney Guthrie in Dragnet 1967 episode The Hammer:
Officer Bill Gannon : [Friday and Gannon are interviewing Chesney Guthrie] You understand your rights, Mr. Gutherie?

Chesney Guthrie : Yes, very fair, very fair.

Officer Bill Gannon : You're a barber, is that right?

Chesney Guthrie : Oh no, I'm a hairstylist, there's a difference.

[He points to Friday]
Chesney Guthrie : Now you go to a barber, but a hair stylist could do wonders for you.

[He turns to Gannon]
Chesney Guthrie : But you stay with a barber. Nothing personal.
You can clearly see the hilarity and why my rescue cat ended up named after Mr. Guthrie, who was more 1960s Queer Eye than hippie.

I found the episode if anyone wants to watch it: https://youtu.be/mG0D0k_Adyo?si=M8fzYZFgsG01PHSk (Chesney Guthrie appears at minute 8:45) There is a Boston connection in the episode, and also an Arizona connection! No wonder I named my cat Chesney.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

yeah, RR...

i was gonna say something clever but....

...what were we talking about?