Every Day is a Holiday.

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Burning Petard

Every Day is a Holiday.

Post by Burning Petard »

Today is National/International Lutefisk Day. Everything I know about Lutefisk I learned from Garrison Keilor. Soaking dried cod fish in lye for a very special Christmas does not sound good to me. That seems similar to Hominy, which I am certain is the worst thing you can do to a nice batch of corn.

On December 9th, Lutefisk Day reminds residents in Norway, Finland, and Sweden to begin preparing their lutefisk for Christmas. The day is also referred to as Anna’s Day.

In case you’re not Scandinavian, lutefisk is basically cod that gets soaked in lye. After the cod is caught, it’s dried to the point of becoming firm and leathery. To tenderize the fish and bring it back to its former condition, it gets soaked in lye. Once it’s nice and tender, the lutefisk is skinned and boned.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Re: Every Day is a Holiday.

Post by BoSoxGal »

I have actually eaten lutefisk, at a church supper in the holiday season after I moved to north central Montana in 2007 - the area is heavily Scandinavian.

I recall it being a culinary experience to be endured, and not repeated.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:01 pm
I have actually eaten lutefisk, at a church supper in the holiday season after I moved to north central Montana in 2007 - the area is heavily Scandinavian.

I recall it being a culinary experience to be endured, and not repeated.
Unbelievable ... I have to agree with BSG.  It's one of those things, like Ghost Pepper Chips or a bar of soap in one's mouth, that is meant to be consumed on a dare or as a punishment.

And I find truly amazing that the same culture responsible for lutefisk also gave us lefse, which is indistinguishable from ambrosia when warmed, spread with butter, then topped with sugar and cinnamon or lingonberry jam before being rolled into a cylinder and consumed like a Scandinavian flauta.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Several years ago there was an older gentleman at my work who was born of Swedish immigrant parents. He brought lutefisk for everyone to sample. I don't recall that it was a special occasion. I was the only one who went for another forkful, not that I'd want to make a steady diet of it.

I ran into him a while back. I might not have recognized him except that he was wearing a ball cap from the small company we had both worked for. It has since gone out of business. He's 92 now. I asked if was still eating lutefisk. He said that was the secret to his long life, laughing
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My grandmother was from Denmark and every Christmas Eve she used to make the meal (this is the traditional Scandinavian Christmas celebration)--goose (or duck when she couldn't get goose), roast pork (which she called fresh ham), and, of course, lutefisk. We all had to eat a little of the lutefisk--she told me once, confidentially, "I don't like it either, but this is our heritage"--not sure how gelatinous fish is "our heritage", but she earnestly believed it; I haven't had it since she died around 40 years ago and don't miss it.

Funny thing though, she also served a sour raspberry dessert that was a cross between jello and pudding; I hated it as a kid, but now have it at least once during the season (funny, it now tastes a bit too sweet for me, but still good). If anyone wants to try it, I think you can get it from Junket as Danish dessert. I also have the traditional Christmas Eve Aquavit (kind of like kerosene flavored with caroway) toast; a heritage I can more fully understand (especially since I learned from trips to Scandinavia that there are better and worse Aquavits, and the one she served was one of the worst).

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Lutefisk_hotline.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God