He Shouldn't Have Jumped the Second Time

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

He Shouldn't Have Jumped the Second Time

Post by Joe Guy »

Skydiver dies at Florida airport for second time in 2 years

A skydiver has died in an apparent parachuting accident Monday at a recreational airport in central Florida, police said, marking at least the second skydiving fatality at the airfield in less than two years.

The man "suffered a hard landing" before being pronounced dead at DeLand Municipal Airport, the DeLand Police Department said in a statement. Officers responded to the scene around 2:30 p.m. on Monday afternoon and are conducting an investigation into what caused the accident. Police said they would not identify the skydiver until his next of kin was notified.

This was not the first fatal skydive incident at DeLand Municipal Airport, which is owned by the city of DeLand and available for public use. Another skydiver was killed during a botched landing at the same airport in October 2022, falling to his death in an apparent accident caused by a malfunctioning parachute, DeLand police said at the time.

Similar incidents have happened elsewhere in Florida, too.

Last October, a 69-year-old man outfitted in parachuting gear was found dead on the lawn of a home in Titusville, which is along the coast about 40 miles east of Orlando. The home was near an airpark and skydiving center. Footage taken from a neighbor's surveillance camera showed the skydiver descending down toward the property in the reflection of a parked SUV's rear windshield, before making a hard landing on the ground.

Although skydiving experts acknowledge that the sport carries with it a certain level of risk, they also say most skydiving accidents are caused by human error rather than equipment failure.

"Many of the accidents occur because the jumper—oftentimes an experienced skydiver who is pushing the limits— makes an error in judgment while landing a perfectly functioning parachute," the United States Parachute Association wrote in a section of its website covering safety. The association likened skydiving incidents to vehicular crashes in this sense, noting that "automobile accidents are not usually the result of equipment failure, but rather operator mistakes."

There were 10 deadly skydiving incidents in 2023, among more than 3.6 million jumps, according to the USPA. That was a record low, the association said.
source

BoSoxGal

Re: He Shouldn't Have Jumped the Second Time

Post by BoSoxGal »

If one happened to be a skydiver and also happened to be suicidal, one would have a very convenient and sure fire method readily at hand.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:44 pm
If one happened to be a skydiver and also happened to be suicidal, one would have a very convenient and sure fire method readily at hand.

Just for fun, read the article's headline again.... :D

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well, it is Easter . . .
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Joe Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:50 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:44 pm

Just for fun, read the article's headline again.... :D
Yes I did chuckle at that.

But I’m just pointing out that sometimes accidents aren’t. Even grammatical ones.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I suppose it's probably "safer" than other methods of suicide, because they have several seconds to change their mind and deploy their parachute if they decide not to go through with it.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

From the headline, "Skydiver dies a second time" I was sure it was an Easter story.

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Me too! :lol:

[/quote]
Burning Petard wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:10 am
From the headline, "Skydiver dies a second time" I was sure it was an Easter story.

snailgate.
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:52 pm
Well, it is Easter . . .
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Saw a vynil decal on the back of a truck today that read:
“Live like you were dying”
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Was a hairdresser driving the truck?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Couldn’t see. I can only guess that they were stil alive as it’s pretty hard to get a vehicle good by on the highway otherwise.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Wouldn't that be dyeing?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:08 pm
Wouldn't that be dyeing?
:lol: :ok
~ Carl Sagan