Trash Talk in LA

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Trash Talk in LA

Post by Joe Guy »

And I don't mean Louisiana....

BoSoxGal

Re: Trash Talk in LA

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just imagine what the inside of the house looks like.

Hoarding is such a sad mental disorder.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

And since apparently just one man lives there, that must have taken years to accumulate so much. I'm surprised it has been able to go on for so long.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Hoarding is a notoriously difficult mental disorder to treat and/or cure. The reality shows about hoarders really disgust me, because they focus on the hoard and cleaning the hoard and nothing about the mental health treatment required to help the hoarder. Most hoarders will begin replacing a lost hoard before the junk trucks have left the neighborhood.

It is a very, very sad illness. Hoarders usually have unresolved trauma or grief that is mixed with the OCD/anxiety at the root of the illness.

My beloved grandmother was a moderate level hoarder; I remember as a very young kid I got lost once in her basement, which was piled to the ceiling with boxes and boxes of stuff that she never looked at but couldn't let go of. My parents and my aunt and uncle had to move her hoard a few times in my childhood after they lost their beach house and lived in a series of Cape rental homes. When my uncle built her a house and moved her to Maine he refused to move her hoard and she had to let go of a ton of stuff. I moved into her little house in Maine when she got too infirm to live alone and moved in with my uncle; I had to clean up what was left of her stuff after he moved her and there were things like kitchen drawers full of bread bag tags, like thousands of bread bag tags. Crazy lady but I loved her - she grew up in the Depression and she just had a terrible fear of want, she would keep food long after it had spoiled and when anyone tried to clean her fridge out she would get very upset even though her nature was typically very sweet and loving.

The very sickest hoarders cannot let go of garbage, like this case. Even worse than that, some hoarders cannot let go of their own bodily excretions and will store it in their homes - jars of pee and buckets of poo, I am not making this up as wild as it sounds.

And of course the saddest cases are hoarders who hoard animals. :(
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I turned on that Hoarding show once and it was difficult to watch. I think anyone who watches that show regularly probably has some type of hoarder watching illness.

My mother was a child during the depression. She kept some old things longer than she needed to but she wasn't a hoarder. One funny thing I remember about her when I was growing up was that she always seemed to have a Kleenex tissue handy when she sneezed or needed it for any reason. After she died, I cleaned out her closets to donate her clothing to charity and found at least one (clean) tissue in the pocket or sleeve of all of her clothes.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:36 pm
And since apparently just one man lives there, that must have taken years to accumulate so much. I'm surprised it has been able to go on for so long.
I read a story online that said the outside hoard has been growing since 2016, so that's 8 years of trash. They've apparently been fined and have paid the fines but done nothing about the trash. The city needs to step up, but LA has such a bad problem with unhoused camps that they probably just aren't prioritizing cases like this.
~ Carl Sagan