The Amazons

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
liberty

The Amazons

Post by liberty »

I have mentioned this before, but I think it deserves posting again. it’s easy to dismiss things when they don’t fall within your own personal belief system, but the truth is the truth. As you already know I believe the amazons were real; the Greeks took what they saw and placed their own interpretation on it and produced the myths of Amazons but sometimes myths are not myths. My question to each one of you, based on the evidence that’s coming forth, were the Amazon’s real people or just a myth?

Amazons: The Reality Behind the Myth of Warrior Women (msn.com)

Many Greek legends tell of warrior women known as the Amazons. The daughters of Ares, the god of war, they were famed for their horse riding and fighting skills. Now, new evidence suggests that they weren’t a myth after all.

Within a Bronze Age necropolis in Azerbaijan, there are a number of women buried with bronze daggers, arrowheads, and maces. Some of the skeletons show that the women had used the bows and arrows, a skill the Amazons were renowned for. Scientists think that they could be remains of Amazons from 4,000 years ago.

“It shows that there’s truth behind the myths and legends of ancient Greece,” historian Bettany Hughes told the Observer.

Bones reveal battle expertise

The women’s fingers show deformities consistent with many years of arrow use. Hughes has said the changes in their finger joints could not have come from hunting alone. The skeletons also show changes to the females’ pelvises, perhaps from a lifetime in a saddle. In both cases, their bone structures have been “shaped by their lifestyle.”

This new find adds to a growing body of evidence that warrior women existed. In 2019, archaeologists uncovered four female warriors in Russia. All had been buried with arrowheads and spears.

Two years earlier, the remains of a woman who had died in battle turned up in Armenia. There have also been women in Kazakhstan buried with daggers. All these date to a similar time.

“Slowly, you’re getting these brilliant bits of evidence that are coming out of the earth,” Hughes commented.

Hughes will detail the findings in a new documentary called Silk Roads and the Caucasus. In it, she explores ancient cultures and trade routes across Asia and Europe. Locals in the Greater Caucasus tell her of the stories passed down through generations.

Men were away with the herds
“All our grandmothers fought,” they told her. “The men were all away with the herds. The women used to cover their faces to fight, so that [their enemies] didn’t know whether they were women or men.”

That is exactly what the ancient sources said the Amazons did.

Across Eurasia, there is mounting evidence of women in battle. They might not be the daughters of Ares, but their bones show they trained for years. And they were such great warriors that they were buried with their weapons. It signified their power and position both on and off the battlefield.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Re: The Amazons

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

My question to each one of you, based on the evidence that’s coming forth, were the Amazon’s real people or just a myth?
I don't know. Maybe. So?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

IMNSHO, people who use the English language to aks questions like: " people or just a myth?" have a very limited understanding of language and communication skills.

An association of ideas become a myth BECAUSE it is a tool for sharing a reality that is important to that society.

snailgate.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:24 am
IMNSHO, people who use the English language to aks questions like: " people or just a myth?" have a very limited understanding of language and communication skills.

An association of ideas become a myth BECAUSE it is a tool for sharing a reality that is important to that society.

snailgate.
You did a good job of avoiding the question but why should you? Do you have a problem with women? Do you have a problem with the subject under discussion? Do you have a problem with strong women? I don't, I love women even strong women my mother was a strong woman.

As far as the Amazon's go, and the name Amazon is good as any other, we don't actually know what they call themselves; people Including women tend to do those things they have to do. What choice would they have? The women could watch their men tortured and killed, their young boys castrated and enslaved, their daughters raped and enslaved and their babies murdered, or they could fight.

I think, I do agree with you if I understand you; men do tend to be stronger than women with upper body strength. But on the horse that doesn't matter so much. Her horsemanship and skilled with a bow could make all the difference.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Thank you , Mr Liberty for another demonstration of your analytical skills.

Alas, there is very little basis for any agreement between us.

snailgate.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

There was a Guardian piece about this a couple of weeks ago. A bit more detail than the MSN piece lib quoted.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ve-existed