All the men getting angry at women for choosing the bear...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Scooter

All the men getting angry at women for choosing the bear...

Post by Scooter »

...are the reason women are choosing the bear.

If you're a man and having a hard time understanding why women would choose the bear

If you don't care about all the stats and logical reasoning that supports women choosing the bear, then just listen to the last ten seconds. That should be the final word.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Re: All the men getting angry at women for choosing the bear...

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As if the majority of men give a fuck.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

And I don't even begin to understand the question because I am a old guy who won't touch tik tok

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:35 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As if the majority of men give a fuck.

I think that's one of the reasons to choose the bear. Too many men do - against a woman's will
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Me too, but I guess it has something to do with whether a woman would rather take her chances with a man or a bear in a situation where their safety was threatened. Not sure what kind of conclusions are being drawn, other than that some women see men as moire threatening than a wild animal, but I guess it can show how the respondents feel--justified or not. I think it's kind of like asking a bunch of white people whether they would prefer to run into a group of black men or white men on a deserted street--prejudices exist and cannot be explained or argued away.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Men ARE more threatening to women than wild animals, by a long shot. Human males are the primary predators of human females, look at the statistics. It’s not a prejudice and your analogy doesn’t hold up, BigRR, because most violence is not cross racial.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well, I haven't made a study of it, but I would bet that most women have not been the victim of violence at the hands of a man anymore than they have met a bear in the wild; sure, some have, and many have heard accounts of it from others, but it is hard to make that choice without firsthand experience. Certainly, "Human males are the primary predators of human females", but most males are not predators--at least violent predators as this thought experiment explores. I think the statistics also show that most males have never raised a hand, threatened violence to, or sexuality assaulted a woman. Sure, they may harbor other prejudices about women in the workplace or ins society, but they are not violent predators.

And from my thought experiment, it is not relevant that most violence is not cross racial (indeed, there are many reasons for this), in this thought experiment, the cross racial nature of the encounter is already set; so the question is not then whether a black group would be more prone to attack a black person, but whether a black or white group would appear to be more threatening to a lone white person on a deserted street.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:13 pm
Well, I haven't made a study of it
Did you click and listen to the link that Scooter provided? I believe it showed that women are more likely to be attacked by men than by bears. Given the difference in territory, I think that it's of no relevance to argue that women don't meet up with bears, or that most bears and most men don't attack anyone.

If you take a look at the Appalachian trail (where bears and humans travel), it's a fact that women are less likely to be attacked by bears than by men. (It's also true that men are less likely to be attacked by bears than by another man (or two). And you might argue a woman is more likely to meet a man or two on the trail than ever see a bear. Fair enough.

Even so, in thinking experimentally, I deduce that in a bear's natural habitat, I'd rather meet a bear than a stranger. And in a non-bear habitat, I'd probably still rather meet a bear because they are less deadly - because they are less intentional about it.

I also deduce that I'm going to avoid a bear's natural habitat because I don't want to try it IRL. As I would avoid many obviously risky places of human activity . . .
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Even God says choose the bear:
Better to meet a she-bear robbed of its cubs than to confront a fool immersed in folly.
Proverbs 17:12, NRSV
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:19 pm

I also deduce that I'm going to avoid a bear's natural habitat because I don't want to try it IRL. As I would avoid many obviously risky places of human activity . . .
Exactly why I eschewed marriage. ;)
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Now that I think of it, Elisha had god send bears to rip apart two youths who dared to call him old and bald.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Woman choosing bear.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

When I ride my bike in ordinary suburban traffic, I am more afraid of school buses than I am afraid of meteors. This is not reasonable. Big old T Rex was really scary, and they were all wiped out by a meteor.

Very few women have ever encountered a bear. Some have. Some have seen black bears in their back yard and called an official guardian in to protect them from the bear--particularly in New Jersey and Pennsyvania--and they got the help they needed. Many more women have had encounters with men and been badly injured even killed. I cannot remember the last time I heard about a woman being injured by a bear within 500 miles of where I live. Lots of stories about women here injured by a man within 10 miles of where I live. And many stories about when they have called the official guardians for this sort of stuff and had no aid that amounted to anything beyond words to placate.

Makes no sense for the hypothetical woman to not choose the hypothetical bear.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

At very least, a bear won’t brutally rape and humiliate and torture you for kicks before it kills you.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If a woman was driving on a road through the woods and her car broke down, would she call a bear?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I recently watched, for the first time, the movie "My Cousin Vinnie", The reality now is that there is no reason to believe the answer to Mr. Guys question is that she would call a guy. She could very well know a qualified female for her problem. Certainly every time I have called Triple A in the last 5 years, it has been a female that answered.

snailgate

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 11:35 pm
I recently watched, for the first time, the movie "My Cousin Vinnie", The reality now is that there is no reason to believe the answer to Mr. Guys question is that she would call a guy. She could very well know a qualified female for her problem. Certainly every time I have called Triple A in the last 5 years, it has been a female that answered.

snailgate
Yes, but who actually showed up? Call centers are a bit different than technicians. In my 3 years working for AAA, we have had a total one ONE female technician out on the roads. She lasted 2 months. While there are female tow truck drivers, they are rare, and hey end up having to have a LOT of tolerance for all the BS that happens in any male-dominated job (construction, mechanics, etc all have the same issues). I know one woman who works for a road construction company as a safety technician (the folks that put out the barrels and hold the one way traffic signs, flaggers, etc) and she dishes out as much as she takes. She made me uncomfortable a few times. But I'm sure she has had way too much unwanted attention. I've never met a woman that hasn't.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bear in the Woods.jpg

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »