And now ICC warrants are sought

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

And now ICC warrants are sought

Post by Big RR »

So the ICC prosecutor has sought warrants against Israeli and Hamas leaders from "crimes against humanity/war crimes" related to the G current Gaza situation, and immediately we get the Israeli response that the two events are not equivalent, and that the warrants imply that they are. But so what, is nonequivalence a defense if I only killed 6 people while someone else killed 10, yet we are both charged with murder? It's an argument that makes no sense.

And I am ashamed that Biden fell into the same trap and made the same argument. There are a lot of arguments that can be made, including that Israel is not a signatory to the ICC convention (nor is the US for that matter), but to stand there and say it's implying a false equivalence is just ducking the issue. Israel either deserves to be condemned for its conduct during the war or it does not. At least have the balls to take a position and not try to remain on both sides of the issue. I completely disagree with them, but at least several republicans have stated their positions clearly. This jumping around is not going to help Biden's campaign.

It reminds me of a criticism of Carter during the 1980 campaign--it was said for any issue Reagan was the right side, Anderson on the left, and Carter on both sides. It didn't help him either in the election.

MajGenl.Meade

Re: And now ICC warrants are sought

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Come to think of it, Mengele was no worse than Clyde Barrow really.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:28 pm
So the ICC prosecutor has sought warrants against Israeli and Hamas leaders from "crimes against humanity/war crimes" related to the G current Gaza situation, and immediately we get the Israeli response that the two events are not equivalent, and that the warrants imply that they are. But so what, is nonequivalence a defense if I only killed 6 people while someone else killed 10, yet we are both charged with murder? It's an argument that makes no sense.

And I am ashamed that Biden fell into the same trap and made the same argument. There are a lot of arguments that can be made, including that Israel is not a signatory to the ICC convention (nor is the US for that matter), but to stand there and say it's implying a false equivalence is just ducking the issue. Israel either deserves to be condemned for its conduct during the war or it does not. At least have the balls to take a position and not try to remain on both sides of the issue. I completely disagree with them, but at least several republicans have stated their positions clearly. This jumping around is not going to help Biden's campaign.

It reminds me of a criticism of Carter during the 1980 campaign--it was said for any issue Reagan was the right side, Anderson on the left, and Carter on both sides. It didn't help him either in the election.
Big RR, may I politely say bullshit; they are not equivalent. Israel is attacking Hamas and Hamas is hiding behind civilians; that is a big difference from what Hamas did. Hamas is guilty of not only murdering, raping, and kidnapping Jewish men, women, and children, but also all of the Palestinians that have been killed in this conflict. Hamas is worse than the Nazis, at least the Nazis wanted to protect their own people, but Hamas considers all their people as martyrs, men, women, children, and babies, to die for the cause like as sheep to the slaughter. I bet there are Hamas fanatics that are intentionally sacrificing their own children for Hamas propaganda. Have you noticed the videos of the men holding their dead babies while they're still breathing; why were they not killed?
Last edited by liberty on Tue May 21, 2024 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Robin, the Boy Wonder, couldn't resist posting a commendation of the Nazis amidst his usual drivel.

Well done, Nazis! When you think of it, they weren't really as bad as Machine Gun Kelly
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Lib--
Big RR, may I politely say bullshit; they are not equivalent
Where did I say they were? But they are both morally reprehensible. And FWIW, the nazis were bad too--so? In your mind, does the behavior of Hamas excuse the behavior of the nazis?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:09 pm
Lib--
Big RR, may I politely say bullshit; they are not equivalent
Where did I say they were? But they are both morally reprehensible. And FWIW, the nazis were bad too--so? In your mind, does the behavior of Hamas excuse the behavior of the nazis?
I didn't say the Nazis were not evil; I said that Hamas is worse. I got to go now; I'm way behind in my to do list.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.