Big City Civilization?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Big City Civilization?

Post by BoSoxGal »

Stabbed hero dies as more than 20 people stroll past him ~ NY Post

A heroic homeless man, stabbed after saving a Queens woman from a knife-wielding attacker, lay dying in a pool of blood for more than an hour as nearly 25 people indifferently strolled past him, a shocking surveillance video obtained by The Post reveals.

Some of the passers-by paused to stare at Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax last Sunday morning and others leaned down to look at his face.

He had jumped to the aid of a woman attacked on 144th Street at 88th Road in Jamaica at 5:40 a.m., was stabbed several times in the chest and collapsed as he chased his assailant.

In the wake of the bloodshed, a man came out of a nearby building and chillingly took a cellphone photo of the victim before leaving. And in several instances, pairs of people gawked at Tale-Yax without doing anything.

Later, another man stopped, leaned over and vigorously shook Tale-Yax’s body. After lifting the victim’s head and body to reveal a pool of blood, he also walked off.

Not until some 15 minutes after he was shaken by the pedestrian — more than an hour and 20 minutes after the victim collapsed — did firefighters finally arrive and discover that Tale-Yax, 31, had died.

Firefighters were responding to a 911 call of a non-life-threatening injury at 7:23 a.m. when they found his body.

Cops said they received four 911 calls at around the time of the attack reporting a woman screaming, but found nothing. They received no other 911 calls.

The indifference of the pedestrians echoed the infamous 1964 murder of Kitty Genovese in Kew Gardens, Queens.

Her desperate screams after being stabbed failed to rouse assistance from the dozen or so people many neighbors who heard them.

"That’s unacceptable," said a woman who lives in the building near where Tale-Yax was killed.

"How can you be so heartless? If he’s dying, he might’ve been saved. If you don’t want to get involved, call 911 and leave."

Another area resident, Ramon Bellasco, 46, said: "It’s no good. They needed to help and call the police. I don’t get it."

George Subraj, owner of Zara Realty, which owns the building next to the murder scene, also gave surveillance footage to the NYPD for its investigation of the case.

The video shows an unidentified woman, standing about 5-foot-3 and wearing a jacket and skirt, walking down 144th Street near 88th Road with her cell phone in hand until.

As she walks under a protective scaffolding next to a building, a man is following her. He is described as 5-foot-6, wearing a green short sleeve shirt and dark pants with a green hat.

As that man accosts the woman under the scaffolding, Tale-Yax walks toward them.

The grainy video shows a scuffle, but most of the action is out of the security camera’s field of vision.

Within seconds, the killer is seen on the video running out from the scaffolding and up 144th St, as the woman heads off in the opposite direction.

Tale-Yax then chases after his murderer, who had stabbed him several times in the torso with a knife, but immediately collapses face down onto the sidewalk.

Within a minute or so, the first of a long series of people begins walking by Tale-Yax without going to his aid.

That man, carrying a small bag, gave the dying Tale-Yax a glance before continuing on his way.

The victim’s body was claimed by someone whom the Medical Examiner’s Office declined to identify, and taken to a Brooklyn funeral home.

No arrests have been made, and the police have been unable to identify the woman Tale-Yax was trying to help.

Anyone with information about the murder is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.

http://www.nypost.com/video/?vxSiteId=0 ... itrate=300

http://www.nypost.com/video/?vxSiteId=0 ... itrate=300
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Re: Big City Civilization?

Post by Gob »

A sad indictment of how people are scared to get involved these days..
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gilead

Post by Gilead »

Scared? or to self involved with their important daily tasks to condescend to helping a dying bum on the street. Oh, but lets be sure to capture an image to post on your faceyspace tweetybook website.... grrr

Gob

Post by Gob »

Gilead wrote:Scared? or to self involved with their important daily tasks to condescend to helping a dying bum on the street.
Yeah, could be either of both. But still a sad reflection on how we have insulated ourselves from others.
Oh, but lets be sure to capture an image to post on your faceyspace tweetybook website.... grrr
Those people are sick, truly sick.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Aard Vark

Post by Aard Vark »

I don't know about the US but in QLD if you see someone in need of help (as in the case of the man shaking the victem) you have taken on a duty of care. You are bound by law to assist or call for assistance, not doing so and you are identified you can be charged with Puttin a life in Danger or beghavour that causes injery or death. Both charges can put you in jail.

BUT! If you stop and the person dosen't want help or gets ferther injeries from your attempt to help (as in the case of the man shaking the victem) you might be sued for your efforts.

F@#ked if you do F#@#Ked if you don't

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big City Civilization?
To be fair, this was in Queens, which is hardly civilization.
GAH!

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

I always get involved. I can't help myself cause I could never forgive myself if someone died through my lack of actions.
Bah!

Aard Vark

Post by Aard Vark »

Good for you Hen. Just ask "do you want help" before you do.

I learnt that in my last First Aid corse. Believe it or not that corse took 8 hours and most of it was how not to get sued

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Aard Vark wrote:I don't know about the US but in QLD if you see someone in need of help (as in the case of the man shaking the victem) you have taken on a duty of care. You are bound by law to assist or call for assistance, not doing so and you are identified you can be charged with Puttin a life in Danger or beghavour that causes injery or death. Both charges can put you in jail.

BUT! If you stop and the person dosen't want help or gets ferther injeries from your attempt to help (as in the case of the man shaking the victem) you might be sued for your efforts.

F@#ked if you do F#@#Ked if you don't
In the US you are not required to help in most circumstances (I imagne there are some exceptions, there always are), but once you stop and begin help, you are usually bound to render aid to the best of your ability (the reasoning being that others may have chosen not to stop seeing you render aid), and failure to do so may leave you open to a lawsuit (criminal law usually does nto come into play). unfortunately, the second part, the liability, does apply in the US, although it is ameliorated somewhat by the so-called "Good Samaraitan" laws.

Miles

Post by Miles »

Personally I could not envision a situation where I would not attempt to help anyone who was down. To me walking by is not an option. For those who have the "don't want to get involved" attitude I can only say remember what goes around comes around. Someday that could be you on the ground in need of help. ;)
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.

dales

Post by dales »

How hard would it have been for one of these self-centered NooYokers to use their mobile to call 911?

Same as the stabbing death c. 1965 when 40+ NooYokers heard a woman screaming and did nothing.

The "Big Apple" is rotten to the core!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Miles wrote: For those who have the "don't want to get involved" attitude I can only say remember what goes around comes around. Someday that could be you on the ground in need of help. ;)
A lesson that seems to have been lost in today's world.

I don't care if you are a tramp or Donald Trump, a person on the ground suffering deserves aid to the best of our ability.

EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME!

The other day I was walking the dogs down at the cork forest, when I came across what I thought was a corpse. It was a "gentleman of the road," wrapped up in what I would call a swaggie. He looked ever so rough, so I sat and chatted for a short while. He didn't make much sense, but I did note he had a 3 litre container of sweet sherry, so that probably account for that.

As he was ok I left him to it, I had about four bucks in my pocket in change so I gave him those as a contribution to his next cask of cheap sherry. (I was under no illusions that's where they would go!)

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I'll call 911, but that's it. Not worth the risk to do anything else.

tyro

Post by tyro »

While it may have changed, in Canada we have had the “Good Sumaritan Law: for some time.

Basically it absolves someone from fault if they truly felt they were coming to the aid of someone in need.

By now I imagine such things are under provincial matters and so I can only hope it was retained nation wide.
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Why Jarl? If you saw a wound would you not try to staunch it? If the guy was in danger of being hit by traffic would you not try to help?

Here's a tale of heroic helping out, from our last London trip;
There was no room in the breakfast area of our hotel for us to sit, so we went into Kensington and got breakfast there. On the way back we were walking along Bayswater Road, a four lane ultra busy London highway, when…
At this point I should tell you something about Hen, she doesn’t like traffic. Even with me holding her hand she’s reluctant to cross busy roads and will always seek out a pelican crossing or zebra crossing, even taking long detours to find one.
…up ahead a mother duck and four ducklings were trying to cross four lanes of London traffic.

The mother made it, how I don’t know, as did two of the ducklings, the other two were stranded in the middle of the moving traffic. “They’ll be killed!”, cried Hatch. Next thing you know, Hen and a young cyclist who had stopped, ran out into the road, closely followed by Hatch. They then tried to round up the ducklings whilst traffic slowly edged around them. I, waking up, ran out to join them.

When I got there some cocky shitbag on a motorbike was trying to push past Hen, by revving his engine and beeping his horn. I rapped on his helmet and flicked off his engine kill-switch. I said, in my not very quiet voice; “You move that thing another inch and I’ll fuck you into the middle of next week you wanker.” The cyclist had grabbed one of the ducklings, Hen got under a transit van and scared out the other, then threw her handbag in front of it and scooped it up.

They took the two terrified ducklings to the fence of Hyde park and released them down to where the mother was calmly waiting. They got a huge cheer and round of applause off the crowd who ad stopped to watch the excitement.

Aard Vark

Post by Aard Vark »

Make me wonder what would of happend if that was a dog or duck (for the sake of Gob's story) getting stabbed and not a homeles man?

I have a sinking feeling more people would have stopped to help a dog.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I think you are right there mate..

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I would...a dog won't sue me. Otherwise...keep walking, head down and pick up the pace.