Going batty.

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
The Hen

Going batty.

Post by The Hen »

I've got fruit bats! When I say "I", I actually mean my neighbours tree that overhangs my property.

There is about 8 of them I think. In fact, Canberra is swarming with fruit bats this year. I don't think I have EVER known them to be here.

I am reckoning that they are doing a clear out of the colonies in Sydney and they have eventually migrated the 300 odd kms to end up here.
Beware if you go down to the woods today

Updated Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10pm AEDT

Canberrans have been warned of potentially deadly threats from the air and on the ground.

At least one person is in hospital with suspected wild mushroom poisoning.

And there's been a spike in the number of people bitten by bats, which can carry a dangerous virus.

ACT Health says the world's most deadly fungus - the death cap mushroom - is abundant throughout the ACT and south eastern Australia in autumn.

ACT Health's John Woollard says the toxic mushroom causes liver failure and has killed two ACT residents within the last fourteen years.

"They are a little difficult to describe. I think the best description is that they have white gills, as opposed to the normal field mushrooms which have the brown coloured gills," he said.

"Our advice is that if people aren't absolutely sure enough to identify a good mushroom from a bad mushroom they shouldn't be out picking the mushrooms to eat.

"We got some advice from the hospital that someone has been admitted with symptoms similar to the poisoning that occurs from death cap mushrooms.

"The symptoms can occur six to 24 hours or more after you actually eat the mushrooms - violent stomach pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea."

Meanwhile health authorities are urging Canberra residents to be wary of bats, after a spike in the number of people requiring treatment.

ACT Health says all bites and scratches must be treated because bats can transmit the dangerous Lyssavirus.

The agency says eight people have been treated for bat bites and scratches within the last six weeks,

Acting chief health officer Eddie O'Brien believes more people are attempting to free bats trapped in netting used to protect fruit trees.

Dr O'Brien says people should not touch bats and instead should contact the RSPCA for help.

I reckon I'll be alright though. They don't tend to bite one of their own.

And as for the mushrooms?

I only EVER eat the ones I am positive about. (Field mushrooms, golden tops, blue meanies.) :?
Bah!

tyro

Re: Going batty.

Post by tyro »

My word!

Fruit bats from the air, wombats from the ground. There is a joke in here somewhere, but I’m not going to touch it.
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.