Lions And Tigers And Bears....

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Lord Jim

Lions And Tigers And Bears....

Post by Lord Jim »

And cheetahs and wolves....

A very weird and sad story:
Armed police kill exotic animals let loose from US farm where owner found dead

ZANESVILLE, Ohio - Police with orders to shoot to kill left 48 tigers, lions, and other wild animals dead Wednesday after their owner freed dozens of exotic beasts from his game preserve and then killed himself. Authorities don't know why he did it.

Officers with assault rifles stalked the animals overnight through the wooded rural area and were still searching for one last wolf and monkey still on the loose Wednesday afternoon. Area residents were told to stay indoors.

"This was a very, very bad situation," County Sheriff Matt Lutz told a news conference. "These animals were on the move, and they were showing aggressive behaviour."

Animal bodies were seen scattered near a barn on the game preserve, and they were later buried there. Lutz said that it appeared Muskingum County Animal Farm owner Terry Thompson opened the farm's cages and gates and shot himself.

Startled deputies arriving on the scene Tuesday night saw aggressive animals near Thompson's body and outside the farm's fence and started shooting. The preserve also had cheetahs, wolves, giraffes, camels and grizzly bears, among others.

"To have no one hurt and killed here with 40-something animals loose was unbelieveable," Jack Hanna, former director of the Columbus Zoo, told CNN. "This was like a bunch of loaded guns running around here."

Also among the dead were 18 Bengal tigers, two grizzly bears and 17 lions.

It was as if Noah's Ark had wrecked in the middle of the United States, Hanna said. He stressed the danger of letting the animals roam.

"If you had 18 Bengal tigers running around, you folks wouldn't want to see what would happen," Hanna added.

Six surviving animals, including a grizzly bear, were taken to the Columbus Zoo.

Amid the confusion, there were multiple sightings of exotic animals up to about 10 miles (16 kilometres) away. "Some sort of cat" was hit and wounded on a local highway, Lutz said.

The sheriff defended the shootings, saying police had just an hour or so before sundown Tuesday and weren't carrying tranquilizer darts.

Even when one 300-pound (135-kilogram) animal was shot with a tranquilizer dart after animal authorities arrived, the animal "went crazy," ran off and had to be shot, Lutz said.

Hanna defended the sheriff against criticism that the animals should have been captured alive.

"What was he to do at nighttime with tigers and lions, leopards, going out there?" Hanna said.
"In the wild, this would be a different situation."

Authorities would not say how Thompson killed himself, and no suicide note was found. Lutz said the sheriff's office had received numerous complaints since 2004 about animals at the property. Thompson had gotten out of federal prison just last month after serving a year for possessing unregistered guns.

Lutz told CNN that he had feared someday finding Thompson dead at his farm from an animal attack.

Ohio has some of the United States' weakest restrictions on exotic pets and among the highest number of injuries and deaths caused by them.

Neighbour Danielle White, whose father's property abuts the animal preserve, said Thompson had been in trouble because of repeated animal escapes. White said.

A few weeks ago, she had to avoid some camels grazing on the side of a freeway.

"It's always been a fear of mine knowing (the preserve's owner) had all those animals," she said. "I have kids. I've heard a male lion roar all night."

John Ellenberger, another neighbour, speculated that Thompson freed the animals to get back at neighbours and police.

"Nobody much cared for him," Ellenberger said.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/world/ ... 23908.html

I fully understand the decision the sheriff had to make under the circumstances, to shoot to kill the animals. With 30 plus big cats suddenly on the loose (not to mention the wolves, grizzly bears and cheetahs) right before nightfall in a populated area, with the resources he had to confront this potentially calamitous
situation, public safety had to be his paramount concern.

What I absolutely DO NOT understand, is a set of laws, codes, and licensing that would permit this insane situation to be allowed to arise in the first place.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a single zoo in this country, with all their resources, safety features, and trained personnel, that has that many big cats....

But some clown with a parcel of land and a chain link fence is allowed to set this up right next to a residential area? A guy who had established a record for not adequately keeping the animals penned in isn't shut down?

Madness.
Last edited by Lord Jim on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

dales

Re: Lions And Tigers And Bears....

Post by dales »

It's OHIO, Jim...what more can be said.

I was rooting for the animals.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Where did this bozo get the money to import these poor fucking animals? Sell all of his assets and give the money to zoos etc.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Rick

Post by Rick »

He just got out of jail, his wife left him, then he kilt himself.

Proly not much left...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

rubato

Post by rubato »

Regulation is Baaaaaaad Baaaaaaaad Baaaaaaaad!

Bleating sheep noise.

yrs,
rubato

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

He didn't have a lot of money tied up in acquiring these animals. Most were neglected and in need of a home.

Once he took in the first couple, word got out and people were asking him to take them off their hands.

A few he traded for firearms.

I guess this is why some municipalities have laws controlling "exotic pets."

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Tragic situation for those animals, to be sure. Law enforcement response, however, is entirely understandable. Obviously this guy was mental, but really, really sad he had to inflict his insanity on those animals before killing himself. :(
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Interesting article;
There are more tigers in captivity in the US than in the wild in the whole of Asia, according to some estimates. But the trade in exotic pets has dangerous consequences for man and beast alike, writes Louis Theroux.
I was in the back garden of an elegant home in rural Missouri with a ticklish question hanging in the air. Should we let the big chimpanzee out of his cage?

For several weeks I'd been on a kind of suburban safari, on the trail of America's large and growing population of exotic wild animals that are kept as pets.

In Indiana, I'd had a close encounter with a baboon called Tatiana. I'd also spent several days getting to know a few of the more than 150 tigers at an "Exotic Animal Sanctuary" in Oklahoma, though mostly through the bars.

But this chimpanzee, called Cooper, was a step up on the exotic animal danger-scale. He belonged to a couple called Jill and Brad James.

The owners of a funeral home, they'd raised two daughters when they decided to take on Cooper. Later, to give Cooper some company, they added a second, younger chimp called Tukem Kerry into the mix.

Even in the world of exotic animals, chimps are considered somewhat controversial.

Fully grown men who would think nothing of rolling around on the ground with a lion would politely decline the opportunity to get in a cage with an adult chimpanzee. Many are mindful of the infamous "Travis incident".

Travis, a 14-year-old, 200lb (91kg) chimpanzee, had once been the star of several TV commercials. He lived in suburban Connecticut with his owner Sandra Herold, sipping wine from a stemmed glass and occasionally popping a Xanax. One day in 2009, he viciously attacked a human neighbour, ripping off her face and chewing off several of her fingers.

read more here.....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

quaddriver

Post by quaddriver »

rubato wrote: Bleating sheep noise.

yrs,
rubato

Oh look, bait for the big cats.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The dumb bimbo who was married to the guy who released the animals is actually trying to get the few surviving ones back:
COLUMBUS, OHIO - The state of Ohio intervened Thursday to stop six exotic animals from being transferred back to the widow of the man who released them and dozens of other creatures last week shortly before killing himself.

The Ohio Department of Agriculture said it issued a quarantine order for the three leopards, two monkeys and one grizzly bear currently held at the Columbus Zoo, citing concerns “the animals could be infected with disease as a result of the conditions in which they were reportedly held.”

Earlier Thursday, the zoo said it had been notified by attorneys representing Marian Thompson that she planned to collect the six animals and return them to the couple’s farm in Zanesville, Ohio.

Thompson arrived at the zoo on Thursday afternoon but left empty-handed.

A spokesman for Ohio Governor John Kasich said: “We will use whatever tools are at our disposal to protect both the health of the people and the animals.”

Last week, Thompson’s husband Terry Thompson set his collection of 56 exotic animals free and then committed suicide.

No note was found with Thompson’s body. He had been released late last month from a year-long prison sentence for violating federal gun laws.

The release of the lions, tigers, bears and other animals created havoc around Zanesville and forced authorities to shoot dozens of the animals, including 18 Bengal tigers, which are endangered, as well as numerous adult lions.

Of the 56 animals released, 49 were killed and buried on the farm.

Wayne Pacelle, the president of the Humane Society of the United States, welcomed Thursday’s action by Ohio.

“The sheriff’s report shows the animals living in squalid conditions,” Pacelle said. “Mr. Thompson had a history of cruelty. There were endless complaints. It would be reckless to allow her to reclaim the animals.”

The quarantine will remain in effect indefinitely, officials said. But Thompson can request a legal hearing on the matter within 30 days.

Ohio is one of seven states that do not restrict ownership of such exotic animals. The others are North and South Carolina, Alabama, West Virginia, Nevada and Wisconsin.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/27/ex ... -them-back

:roll:

I saw Jack Hannah on the news yesterday saying they'd have to throw him in jail before he'd allow these animals to be returned to this woman.

Good for Jack.
ImageImageImage