Final stroke...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Final stroke...

Post by Gob »

Former Diff'rent Strokes star Gary Coleman has died, aged 42, after suffering a brain haemorrhage.

Mr Coleman was taken to hospital on Wednesday after a fall at his home in the US state of Utah.

A Utah Valley Regional Medical Center spokeswoman said he had died at 1205MDT (1805 GMT).

Mr Coleman played Arnold Jackson in Diff'rent Strokes from 1978 to 1986, coining the catchphrase "What you talking 'bout, Willis?"

The hospital said he suffered the haemorrhage at his home in Utah and been brought in "conscious and lucid".

His manager, John Alcantar, said that contrary to some reports he had not undergone any surgery in recent days.

The former child star suffered kidney disease at early age and has had two failed kidney transplants.

"At times, it may not have been apparent, but he always has had fond memories of being an entertainer and appreciates his fans for all their support over the years," Mr Alcantar said.

The actor had a series of financial and legal problems in recent years, but in the early 1980s Mr Coleman was one of television's most promising stars.

Mr Coleman's funny one-liners, which were usually aimed at his brother in the show, catapulted him to fame and helped make Diff'rent Strokes an NBC mainstay from 1978 until the show's final episode in 1985.

Following the show's cancellation, Mr Coleman experienced a range of ups and downs.

Mr Coleman never grew taller than 4 ft 8 in (1.4m) because of nephritis, a kidney condition, and his height soon became the focus of jokes in the media.

He sued his parents over mismanagement, which won him a $1.3m (£900,000) settlement in 1993, only to file for bankruptcy six years later.

Mr Coleman also appeared on TV court shows several times, was charged with reckless driving, was cited for disorderly conduct, and had a brief run for governor of California in 2003.

He moved to Utah in 2005, since when police officers had been called to assist or intervene with Mr Coleman more than 20 times.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainmen ... 181246.stm.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

tyro

Re: Final stroke...

Post by tyro »

No doubt the best thing I can say about that show was that it pushed me away from watching television.
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

It was not a show I watched, though I was aware of it and his catch phrase.

I recently caught up with his life, and I am very sorry that his earnings were squandered by his parents. No one deserves that.
Bah!

tyro

Post by tyro »

By the way, extra points for the topic title.
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Sad, but true.

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Post by dales »

I wonder who will be #3?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'll have an outsider bet on Cliff Richards...

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Wait for it...

#
wiiloverandproud
1 day ago

RIP Gary. It doesn't suck to be you any more.
Last edited by loCAtek on Sun May 30, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

dales wrote:I wonder who will be #3?
Dennis Hopper was number 3.

The first two were Art Linkletter & Gary Coleman.

dales

Post by dales »

Kids say the darndest things, Joe.

I forgot about the late Mr. Art Linkletter who died just recently. :(

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

SisterMaryFellatio

Post by SisterMaryFellatio »

Bollocks to them all...None of them were on my Dead Pool! :arg :arg

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Yeah. Every one that is NOT on Sister Mary's Dead Pool and is dying should just drop dead!

Bastards.
Bah!