Expect a knock on the door mate

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Expect a knock on the door mate

Post by Gob »

Cameraman tells of snatch President Obama charity photo at White House

A Welsh TV cameraman risked being thrown out of the White House after snapping President Barack Obama for a charity campaign.

Dai Baker used his mobile phone to take the image, with the words 'For Luca' written on his hand.

It was part of a fund-raising bid for Luca Williams, three, who lost both his legs to meningococcal septicaemia.

Mr Baker, who had been invited to a reception, said it was a risk worth taking for a good cause.

Luca's parents, Mo Syed and Sian Williams, in Newport want to raise £1.5m for prosthetic legs and treatment for Luca after being struck down by meningitis.

The 'Raise Your Hand For Luca' campaign has won backing across the world, with celebrities appearing in photos with "For Luca" written on hands.

But the latest name to appear in a photo was oblivious to it.

After taking the crucial shot, Mr Baker, originally from Risca, Newport, posted his image on Twitter stating: "It's slightly blurry but it's the best I could do before I was thrown out."

The cameraman, who works for ITN at its Washington DC bureau, told BBC Wales later that he knew phones were banned in the White House's Oval Office, but he took the picture anyway because it was for a good cause.

"The president didn't see and neither did his security guys," Mr Baker said.

"As far as I know they still don't know."

Mr Baker said he decided to take the picture after being told about the campaign by his brother back in Wales.

Luca also goes to the same nursery as Mr Baker's nephew.

Mr Baker had been invited to the White House to meet the president after winning the White House Photographer of the Year four times.

"Taking the picture was planned. I had known for a couple of weeks that I was going to the White House and I was meeting the president in the Oval Office so I wanted to take the picture," he said.

"I had originally planned to take the picture while shaking the president's hand, but when I got there I found out that he wouldn't be shaking our hands individually. So I had to quickly change plans."

Mr Baker said reports that President Obama and his security staff caught him taking the snap were false.

"They didn't see me. Although, the story is worldwide now so they might know about it," he added.

Having his own children had moved Mr Baker to joining the campaign.

"I've got two sons, Eric is three, Emlyn is one. Children make you realise that life is too fragile," he said.

Luca's father, Mo Syed, from Newport, sent Mr Baker a message of thanks and told him he had "single-handedly sent Luca's campaign in to overdrive".

Those backing the campaign include F1 racing drivers Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel, pop star Pixie Lott, rock legend Gene Simmons, and Wales Grand Slam players Sam Warburton and Leigh Halfpenny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-17767465
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Jarlaxle

Re: Expect a knock on the door mate

Post by Jarlaxle »

Were I Obama (and I thank the Fates every day I am not, but anyway...), I would send the guy a picture, with "for Luca" on it, and a note. The note would read: "Had you asked, I would have posed for the photo."