Happy!

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Crackpot

Happy!

Post by Crackpot »

I’ve been watching this on Netflix and it is very WTF. It’s a bizarre cross of Death to Smoochie and Jon dies at the end with a touch of Teletubbies and Law and Order SVU.

I’m nearing the end of the second season and I am unsure if it ends here or if it got canceled before the story wraps. (It was produced by SyFy and I have no idea how that was approved for basic cable)

If not I’ll lol have to check out the graphic novel just to see where it ends up.

Brief plot outline ex cop turned hit man is enlisted to rescue his previously unknown to him daughter from a serial killer by her imaginary friend Happy who is a little blue flying unicorn

Warning in case you haven’t figured it out already...
Meade this one ain’t for you
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Sue U

Re: Happy!

Post by Sue U »

This is easily the most bizarre and messed up tee-vee series I've ever seen, and it is awesome. Saw it a couple of years ago on the recommendation of my son, who I believe may have been experimenting with hallucinogens.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I doubt it watching something like that on hallucinogens would really fuck you up. (Especially the second season)

Gob

Post by Gob »

Funnily enough, despite watching next to no TV, (bar cooking shows and Gogglebox,) I've been given a Netfix log in, and the Happy! trailer may have inspired me to watch it.

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That looks excellent! I ❤️ Christopher Meloni!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

That doesn’t do justice to just how twisted the show really is.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The best I can describe it is “It’s like watching a train wreck through Hunter S. Thompson’s fever dreams while he was staying at the Overlook Hotel.”

You will see things you can’t unsee.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Dude, don't give it away; 'nuff said already.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I’m just trying to give full disclosure.

As is I don’t know when I will be able to finish it as it requires more attention than I can give while working and I’m certainly not going to expose my son to it.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Watched three episodes last night, the first time I've ever watched Netflix. Enjoyable enough, the lead character is likeable.

I will say though, it has huge potential for shark leaping early in the series
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

What you’re saying there may be a point in a show that is about a grown man man and an imaginary friend fighting a cartoonishly corrupt world to save a little girl from an evil Santa Claus that may take a future step too far and the whole thing may just cease to be believable?
Last edited by Crackpot on Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gob

Post by Gob »

:lol:

Nope, what I'm saying is that they maintained the quality over those first three episodes, but the whole thing hinges on very thin material, and may become less amusing/entertaining very quickly.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Oh don't worry about that. Just go along for the ride.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The guy that plays Smoothie (character actor don’t know his name offhand) Patrick Fischler (looked it up) is excellent.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Just watched another four episodes, and have to give you kudos for informing me of this brilliantly batty show Crackpot.

(The identity of the Bug was a bit obvious though.)

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Keep going, there's more fun to come.

Also, this is not a "whodunnit." It's more of a "how-excessively-over-the-top-can-we-make-this-before-someone-makes-us-stop."
GAH!