Silk

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Guinevere

Silk

Post by Guinevere »

Another Brit import -- shown on Masterpiece Mystery in late August and early September -- about two barristers competing for the designation as "QC" aka "Queen's Counselor" which is also known as taking the silk. 6 episodes in Season 1 (combined into 3 for the US audiences) and available to stream for free on PBS.com.

Anyone across the pond watch it, or the second season, which has already aired over there?

I never watch lawyer shows, I find them annoying and not really enjoyable/relaxing. I thought this one was just different enough to be enjoyable, and the acting was superb. The hard-driving female lead was a character I could definitely relate to.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Re: Silk

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:I never watch lawyer shows, I find them annoying and not really enjoyable/relaxing.
Oh come on, you can't tell me you didn't love Boston Legal!
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Never watched an episode. Not one.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Lynn and I enjoyed "Silk" a lot. The first series has been on SA television (BBC E) and we hope the second will show up.

- ah, Queen's (or King's) Counsel I think, rather than "Counsellor".
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guin, I recommend you try a little bit of Boston Legal. There's a lot of civ pro jokes, plus a lot of stuff you wish you really could do/say in the courtroom.
GAH!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I haven't seen this series, but I remember the "taking the silk" thing from Rumpole Of The Bailey...
ImageImageImage

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

One of the lawyers I worked with (at a firm I hated) went to BU or BC with David E Kelley (the producer of Boston Legal), bragged about it constantly, and claimed to feed him jokes/situations. Based on his sense of humor, and the constant claims, I was extremely not interested in the show.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Lynn and I enjoyed "Silk" a lot. The first series has been on SA television (BBC E) and we hope the second will show up.

- ah, Queen's (or King's) Counsel I think, rather than "Counsellor".
Yes, Queen's Counsel. I stand corrected.

I would expect, at this point in the realm, there are very few KC's around . . .

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Ho ho! Zero for the present but some are anticipating... why is it that British shows somehow seem so more intelligent (leaving aside many comedies)? The British Law and Order is head and shoulders above the USian offerings.

I remember an episode of Softly Softly (I think it was) back in the 70s that spent an hour examining the question: should the police act to forestall a crime they knew was going to happen (breaking and entering) or should they let it go ahead and arrest the perps in the act? They decided to let it happen and someone got hurt, badly. Agony!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

The legal types here may enjoy the gentle Brit-Com "Kingdom" starring Stephen Fry as a small town solicitor.
Respected country solicitor Peter Kingdom, with the assistance of his apprentice Lyle and secretary Gloria, runs a small legal practice in Market Shipborough for the eccentric people of Norfolk. Peter lives with his slightly crazy sister Beatrice, and recently lost his half-brother Simon under mysterious circumstances.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0841961/
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I'm with Guin, can't stand shows like Ally McBeal, The Practice, LA Law, Suits, and the bit of Boston Legal I've seen. The only lawyer shows I've liked are Perry Mason and Rumpole (I don't include the Law and Order franchises, which are okay tv, since its all criminal law and mostly about the detective work, which is much like Perry Mason).

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well, I liked Fairly Legal, but that may have had something to do with Sarah Shahi...

And who can forget this Great Moment In William Shatner's Career from Boston Legal:

ImageImageImage

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Long Run/Guin: How did you feel about My Cousin Vinny?
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Sue U wrote:Long Run/Guin: How did you feel about My Cousin Vinny?
Came out during my first year of law school, when I didn't see many/any movies, for obvious and not-so-obvious reasons. And I've managed to not ever see it since.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I didn't consider My Cousin Vinny a law flick. And I enjoyed it.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Loved it. Probably my favorite legal movie, though Oldr might be right that it is hardly trying to be the next coming of The Verdict or 12 Angry Men.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Probably my favorite legal movie
Even over Witness For The Prosecution?

Of course my all time favorite legal movie is:

I found that to be a fairly realistic portrayal of the legal profession... 8-)
ImageImageImage

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Lord Jim wrote:I found that to be a fairly realistic portrayal of the legal profession... 8-)
Many of the interior scenes were shot in my former firm's offices, particularly in the partners' suite. Draw whatever conclusions you might. :shock:
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Long Run wrote:
Loved it. Probably my favorite legal movie, though Oldr might be right that it is hardly trying to be the next coming of The Verdict or 12 Angry Men.
I have been in seminars where the scene with Marisa Tomei on the stand is used as a model for how to qualify an expert witness.
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

You legal guys may enjoy this legal comedy too...

A Melbourne family is very happy living where they do, near the Melbourne airport (according to Jane Kennedy, it's "practically their back yard"). However, they are forced to leave their beloved home, by the Government and airport authorities. 'The Castle' is the story of how they fight to remain in their house, taking their case as far as the High Court. Written by Simon Quinn <G.Quinn@mailbox.uq.edu.au>

The Kerrigan family are a typical aussie "battler" family and living right next to the airport never seemed to be a problem for them until the airport wants to expand - on to their land. Their initial reaction is "f**k the airport" but it soon becomes obvious that airport is going to get its way - one way or another. This is Dale Kerrigan's story of their battle with the airport to keep their beloved house, along with "bloody good set of gates". Written by QarnoS <qarnos@mindless.com>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118826/
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”