A complete rip off

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

A complete rip off

Post by Gob »

Of the "Police Squad" movies, but a real fucking hoot.

A Touch of Cloth.

"Oldman, Oldman, take a look at my life."
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Re: A complete rip off

Post by Long Run »

If you're looking for some levity and more than a few howls, I totally agree. Airplane meets British Crime Procedural.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

John Hannah & Suranne Jones? Sign me up! :ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Put this in my watchlist and promptly forgot it was a comedy. Almost pissed myself a few minutes in.

Haven’t laughed this much in a while. Thanks, guys!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Har-de-har-har
I watched Touch with my father. We laughed a lot throughout, but the scene that tickled us most was where a victim’s dad sexually molests his daughter’s corpse in the morgue…
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Honestly, I read the title and thought this was a joke about discount circumcisions.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:34 am
Har-de-har-har
I watched Touch with my father. We laughed a lot throughout, but the scene that tickled us most was where a victim’s dad sexually molests his daughter’s corpse in the morgue…
The show, like all in the genre, relies in part on some level of bizarro. I don’t know how to describe the resulting effect of the scene in question other than to say that this person, who is so often accused of having no sense of humor and who quite obviously is considered a feminazi cunt by a number of posters here, was nevertheless not overly offended by that scene.

I will say that when a person has spent years of their life up to their ears in actual horrific evidence of the human capacity for atrocity, developing a dark sense of humor is critical for survival.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

Why yes it is, what's your excuse?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

:lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:34 am
Har-de-har-har
Yeah, that's definitely what I'm looking for in comedy, all right.
I'll take a pass, thank you.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s hardly any more awful than any other silly movie.

~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:15 am
It’s hardly any more awful than any other silly movie.

I guess the celebration of outright perversity (incestuous necrophilia) as "hardly more awful" than (perhaps) the "Airplane" auto-pilot lighting up a cigarette is diagnostic of a culture that finds pride in what used to be shameful.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If the above clip is a typical scene from the show, I don’t think that even I would laugh much. And I laugh at train wrecks.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:02 am
If the above clip is a typical scene from the show,
Well, it is not. I didn't find this short scene funny, fwiw. Like we say for Star Trek, not every episode can be City on the Edge of Forever. A Touch of Cloth, like Airplane, Police Academy, etc. is hilarious a good amount of the time, and misses a few times. So, it has way more successful humor per minute than nearly every sit-com ever made, SNL, or most any comedy special. Kind of silly to pick out one short scene that makes up much less than 1% of the overall material, and form (an ignorant) opinion that the entire show is unacceptable.