Game Of Thrones...

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Lord Jim

Re: Game Of Thrones...

Post by Lord Jim »

No real surprise:
A Lifetime

You would last A Lifetime in Game of Thrones! Many are born into this world, but few have the character to become a leader. Whether it is your honor, your strength, or your knowledge of the world, you have found a means to inspire the hearts of men to follow you until death. You are glory incarnate, the fire that keeps the darkness at bay. Your enemies denied your truth and they suffered for their folly, earning you a long and unchallenged reign
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Yep, that's what I got too. But let's face it, LJ - that girl and her needle could take us both out at the same time given our reflexes (an assumption on my part but age... well, it's a thing).
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The most striking bit to me in that description was this:
You are glory incarnate, the fire that keeps the darkness at bay.
Once again, I'm amazed by how uncannily accurate some of these quiz results can be...

I'm sure that if I were to ask almost anyone who knows me to describe me in a single sentence, they would come up with that, pretty much word for word... 8-)
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Uh huh, and how much intravenous ethanol would you have administered to them beforehand? :mrgreen:

Or better, what dirt do have on them with which to blackmail them?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Uh huh, and how much intravenous ethanol would you have administered to them beforehand? :mrgreen:
Why, none...*
Or better, what dirt do have on them with which to blackmail them?
I'm sure that if you were to ask them they would all vociferously deny that they were being blackmailed...

*Just a little dose of Milk Of The Poppy...
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It may be true that "Winter is coming" but it's certainly taking it's sweet time getting there in season 5...

(Which I suppose is not surprising given the fact that HBO has already commissioned season 6, and the series is expected to run for 7 or 8 seasons)

I've become a big fan of the show, but one major criticism...

A large percentage of it takes place in lighting so dark you can barely see what's going on...(Most of that involves combat scenes...I suppose that's a cost saving move, because if you have a combat scene in the dark, you don't have to pay for as many "extras" as you would if the scene were shot in better light... 8-) )

The "happy ending" to this saga would probably have Daenerys Targaryen and John Snow (made John Starke) married and ruling together over Westeros with Tyrion Lannister as their trusted adviser...

But if there's one thing I've learned about this show, (especially from the end of Season 3) it's very short on "happy endings"... :?
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Haven't read the books, have ya? :( :o :shock: :x :? :oops: :arg
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

must not post spoilers....

okay, it ends up with the marsh people inheriting the world while a big fella who only knows one word carries a box of cereal around. john snow dips his icicle in forbidden flowers. the little fella settles down with one of the dragons and lives happily ever after. then the dire wolves kill everyone

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Haven't read the books, have ya? :( :o :shock: :x :? :oops: :arg
No I haven't, but I have been thinking about reading them, (starting at the point where the current season's narrative will leave off in a few weeks) simply because I've gotten so drawn into the saga that I don't feel like waiting three more years to see how it all develops and plays out...

But on the other hand, I'm concerned that if I do that, it will ruin the enjoyment of the show for me, since I'll know what's going to happen in advance and how it all resolves...

But then on the third hand, I read The Lord Of The Rings trilogy a long time before I saw the films, but I still enjoyed the movies...

It's a conundrum... :?
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

ImageImageImage

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

Lord Jim wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:Haven't read the books, have ya? :( :o :shock: :x :? :oops: :arg
No I haven't, but I have been thinking about reading them, (starting at the point where the current season's narrative will leave off in a few weeks) simply because I've gotten so drawn into the saga that I don't feel like waiting three more years to see how it all develops and plays out...

But on the other hand, I'm concerned that if I do that, it will ruin the enjoyment of the show for me, since I'll know what's going to happen in advance and how it all resolves...

But then on the third hand, I read The Lord Of The Rings trilogy a long time before I saw the films, but I still enjoyed the movies...

It's a conundrum... :?
You know nothing Lord Jim :nana ..... you can't start where the current season leaves off as the television series isn't really following the books - moreover there are huge story arcs that have been dropped for the tv series & others which have been written solely for the show, along with characters who are either alive in the show but long dead in the books, or dead in the show but alive in the books, or who never made it into the tv show but who are intrinsic to the books and vice versa.

The books are well worth reading but I'm not sure what people who only found GoT via the tv show will make of them - those of us who were GoT readers long before there was even a thought of a television series have had to experience lots of wtf? moments, although on the other hand I was happy to see they may have dropped an arc for a character that simply doesn't fit well with me in the books (I say may as you never know with the show writers if they have simply decided to shelve that for now and will bring it in later). Don't misunderstand me I love the tv show its about as close as anyone would ever likely to get to the books but it is quite a bit different - and its already gone beyond where some of the book story lines have reached in places. If you do decide to read the books you are going to have to start with book 1 or you will never be able to follow the story, at least new readers won't have to experience the bloody long wait between books that the rest of us did albeit that once you get to A Dance With Dragons you'll probably find yourself sharing that frustration as he's still about a year away from publication of The Winds of Winter.
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

After I posted that RB, I learned about the divergence between the books and the series. (Though not the extent of it)

Also from an interview I read, the books' writer George R. R. Martin, has been fully a part of that process, because he's deeply involved in the production and writing of the series. They are now essentially different properties that share some characters and story lines...

And there are still two books to go...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

wesw

Post by wesw »

I guess that I d better get some reading glasses.....

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Last week's episode (#9), the dragon scene was one of the best I've seen on TV/movies in quite some time. Great film making/entertainment.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

That was pretty cool, but that episode also had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen on television; (Once I could tell what was going to happen, I fast forwarded past most of it)

The season finale was a disappointment to me. Too many appealing characters dying or in serious trouble; the bad guys really seem ascendant...
ImageImageImage

wesw

Post by wesw »

well, I haven t seen the show, but I remember feeling as jim does, while reading the books.

ok. which character do you guys most identify with in the books or shows?....

I can t really guess any of your choices.... hmmm.....

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I probably would have identified most with Ned Stark, but he wasn't a big enough asshole to last long...

Here's a spoiler from the finale, (though it's not really a plot spoiler...)

The best part of the episode was seeing Cersei get naked.... :ok
ImageImageImage

wesw

Post by wesw »

ned stark makes sense for jim....

ok, I hope I don t offend people too bad.......

liberty has to be Hodor...., ps-i liked Hodor....

rube has to be the dragon girls brother...

me? I m the marsh boy who helps bran..... is he even in the tv show?

RayThom

IS SNOW REALLY DEAD?

Post by RayThom »

I don't think so. GOT has so many confusing plot twists that I'm betting all of this past season was nothing more than Hodor's dream.

Just wait and see.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”