Game Of Thrones...

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Scooter

Re: Game Of Thrones...

Post by Scooter »

I haven't even watched the last couple of seasons (for wont of HBO) and I'm still betting that it's going to end with Daenerys sitting on the Iron Throne.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Long Run wrote:
Gob wrote:I get great satisfaction from not knowing WTF you are all babbling about in this thread.
You are one of the unsullied.
Me too, me too!!!
:mrgreen:

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Scooter wrote:I haven't even watched the last couple of seasons (for wont of HBO) and I'm still betting that it's going to end with Daenerys sitting on the Iron Throne.
I think the working assumption among GOT watchers for the last few years has been that the scourge of the White Walkers from the north meeting the fire-breathing dragons of Daenerys from the south is the inevitable and throne-defining battle; but with GOT, it is all about the journey (and last week was a good week in that journey).

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

last week was a good week in that journey
There have been so many episodes that were good for weeks for The Bad Guys...

Last week's episode was actually a double win for The Good Guys... :ok
I think the working assumption among GOT watchers for the last few years has been that the scourge of the White Walkers from the north meeting the fire-breathing dragons of Daenerys from the south is the inevitable and throne-defining battle
I think that in the ultimate resolution of the saga, what will happen is that the Houses of Westeros will put aside their squabbles and intrigues, and unite against a common enemy, (most likely under the rule of Queen Daenerys) in a final struggle against the White Walkers, (who, let's face it, are basically Zombies...)

In a climactic battle between the forces of the living and the undead....
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

It all sounds a bit like;

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

That sounds like the play-by-play announcing at a cricket match... :P
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

'Game of Thrones' effect sees female knights jousting at English castles

Women will join jousting competitions at English castles for the first time this summer, English Heritage has confirmed.
Female knights will battle against male counterparts at Bolsover, Kenilworth, Pendennis and Carisbrooke castles.
The grand medieval joust competitions see the knights on horseback, dressed in full armour and armed with a lance.
Traditionally, no women took part in jousting tournaments as all the elite knights were male.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-36605397
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I won a bet with Lady Kelly on what the final scene for this season's GOT finale would be...

I can't see how it could have been anything else...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I hope that bet was worth winning! ;) That was a good season/final episode.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

A much more hopeful ending to this season than last season...(of course that wouldn't have been a really tough thing to achieve)

This season's finale had a couple of scenes that I expected...

The last one, as well as the earlier one at Winterfell...

But also a few surprises...

I figured that the High Sparrow and his fellow cultist's days were numbered, but the way they were eliminated was not something I saw coming...(I thought there'd be a battle scene with Jaime leading the Lannister army in an assault on Kings Landing)

I also didn't see the swan dive out the window or the scene with Arya Stark coming...
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Last edited by Scooter on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Nice summary, but needed a spoiler alert! 8-)

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Better?

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I thought that was a GREAT scene at Winterfell...

A little girl stands up and shames a bunch of supposedly tough (but really craven) old men into making the commitment they should have made in the first place... :ok

I don't predict a long and peaceful reign for Her Majesty, Queen Cersei...

If I were her, I wouldn't buy any green bananas...

A kickass landing force with major air support is on the way...
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oh dear!

Game of Thrones - the record-breaking fantasy drama TV series - will end after its eighth season, American broadcaster HBO has confirmed.

HBO programming chief Casey Bloys made the announcement at the Television Critics Association's conference.

The seventh season - made up of seven episodes instead of the usual 10 - is expected in summer next year, while the final season will be in 2018.

Game of Thrones is based on novels written by George R R Martin.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

You know, maybe this is why older TV shows were better.  A lot of these current or recent shows — Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Lost, Sopranos (none of which I ever watched, mainly because I'm too cheap to pop for the extra money to get HBO or the other premium-level channels) — seem to be based on books or other specific stories.  Take "Game of Thrones", for example; George R.R. Martin wrote only so many books/stories; once you get to the end of them, then where are you gonna go?  You could go like "Lost" did and take a hard turn from a kinda-believable airliner crash/survival story into whateverinthehell it turned out to be; and there's only so much you can do to make a meth cooker ("Breaking Bad") likeable.

That maybe why comedies like "Gilligan's Island", "Beverly Hillbillies", "All In The Family", and "Happy Days" lasted and did as well as they could do.  Even dramas — like "Perry Mason", "Rockford Files", the original "Hawaii Five-O", and even "Magnum P.I." and "Knight Rider" — were not based on or set along a finite time-line, so unless they tried to turn it into a serial (like "Dallas" did) where each episode had to follow and correlate to the ones that came before or would come after they could, depending on the quality, have kept them running for who knows how long.

But now there seems to be a marked scarcity of creativity in the TV writers today.  They'll take something that someone else has written and adapt it; but when it comes time to come up with something original on their own they seem to be totally helpless.  And the recent output shows it.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I read somewhere that they were thinking about just doing 13 more total episodes; seven would be for next year and then the following six for the next year... :roll:

Screw that. If they're only going to do 13 more episodes, then they should just do them all next year and be done with it...
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Isn't George R.R. Martin still working on the last book in the series on which the show is based? Maybe at the rate he's going the TV producers have to give him that long to finish up the plot?
Last edited by Econoline on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I have never watched this tv show. I have read the first two books in the saga. My son has watched it all and we have talked about it.

The books seemed to me to be an attempt to follow the commercial success of another fantasy saga, Jordan's Wheel of Time that ran to 15 densely packed volumes.

But this one has a cute gimmick, at least in the books. Each book describes a very detailed, complex international conflict with many different interests. The first book lays out the players, internal and external conflicts, from the point of view on one set of 'heroes' and presents all the bad guys that are trying to do the heroes harm. The next book is about the same setting, but from the point of view of one of the previous 'bad guys' who is now the hero and all the previous good guys are now just so many more villains. Similar changes of viewpoint continue in the print series.

Can't say if the tv versions follow this process. But my son tells me you can pretty much bet that any character with a name and back story will be killed off eventually.

snailgate.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Everyone dies.
The End.
:mrgreen: