Game Of Thrones...

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Lord Jim

Re: Game Of Thrones...

Post by Lord Jim »

Spoiler post...

Jon Snow dies, Sansa Stark dies, Stannis Baratheon dies, (after what he did to his daughter he had it coming) Arya Stark either dies or goes blind, Myrcella Baratheon, (the incestuous daughter of Jamie and Cersei Lannister, but not a bad kid; not a psychopath like Joffrey...) gets killed because of poison lipstick...

And The Dragon Queen suddenly finds herself surrounded by the barbarian tribe she was first sold off too...

(But I wouldn't worry about Daenerys Targaryen; she can always count on her 3 dragons to pull a Deux Ex Dragona to get her out of a jam... :ok )

But the guy who most deserves to die...

Ramsay Bolton...

(The second worst psychopath after Joffrey...)

He seems to be doing quite well... :?
Last edited by Lord Jim on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It's tough not to like Tommen Baratheon...

He's a kid, and he's weak, and he's ineffectual...but he seems to have a good heart...

At least he's not a sadistic sociopath like his brother, or a manipulative narcissist like his mother...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Lord Jim wrote:Spoiler post...

XXX dies, XXX dies, XXX dies, (after what he did to his daughter he had it coming) XXXX either dies or goes blind, XXXX gets killed because of poison lipstick...

Except for the inept king, we do not know for sure any of those have actually died.
But the guy who most deserves to die...

Ramsay Bolton...

(The second worst psychopath after Joffrey...)
No, Ramsay is clearly worse and even more evil, but then this is a Hitler/Stalin kind of discussion.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

No, Ramsay is clearly worse and even more evil but then this is a Hitler/Stalin kind of discussion.
I think it's a stylistic difference...

Joffrey always got somebody else to carry out his sadistic evil doing and got off on the power of being able to have it done...

Ramsay's a hands-on kinda guy who clearly enjoys the work...
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

That's terrible... :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

This thread seems the perfect place to share this tweet:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

Neither Sansa nor Arya is dead. Sansa jumped into 8' of snow, Arya goes blind.

The screenwriter(s) have deviated significantly from the books, and to the better in my opinion. Ramsey Bolton (nee Snow) is the vilest character in all of Westeros, so he may hang around a bit just to irritate the audience. Cersei's fate is uncertain now; she appears to have been reunited with people who support her, but nobody appears willing to fuck with the High Priest, who holds virtually all the cards.

In the book, Tommen is too young to be interested in copulating with his new bride and by the end of the last book his marriage had not yet been consummated. Better the TV series where he seeks to set a new boinking record with his lovely, infinitely sexy bride-queen.

When will someone off the red-headed witch? It cannot happen too soon.

In the book, Dany encountered a single Dothraki warrior, then was left hanging. I wonder why the TV producers felt it necessary to stage that final scene, involving the notorious "cast of thousands." The budget director must have had a cow.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Neither Sansa nor Arya is dead. Sansa jumped into 8' of snow, Arya goes blind.
It's funny that you mention that now...

The lady who cuts my hair is a big GOT fan, (she's also read the books) and I just happened to get a haircut yesterday, where she pointed out the same things...

I was looking at the distance of that plunge, and not thinking about the snow...
Cersei's fate is uncertain now; she appears to have been reunited with people who support her, but nobody appears willing to fuck with the High Priest, who holds virtually all the cards.
I expect in the next season that what she's going to do now that she's back in her castle with her supporters, is rally the King's Guard and/or the Lannister army to annihilate the religious cultists that she armed, (thinking wrongly she could control them and use them to go against her adversaries like her daughter-in-law)

That looks like a Cersei kind of move...
ImageImageImage

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

How much time passes as this story plays out?

From the time when, say, Eddard Stark gets the summons to go to King's Landing to be King Robert's Hand until Dani encounters the Dothraki horde.

Six months? A couple years?

One difficulty is the disconnectedness of the stories on the two sides of the ocean, which is only re-connected when the Dwarf finally meets Daneris.

A lot goes on, but the actual time lapse might not be very long.

I'm certain there must be some neurotic fans of the books that have charted it all out, but I couldn't get a feel for it at all.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I don't know what the deal is with "the books", but as far as the show is concerned, it seems to be happening in more or less "real time"...

There have been several references made in the last couple of seasons to "a year ago", or "two years ago", that would match the "real time" of the series...

This saga is being enacted in "real time"...

I think this is one of the most fascinating things about this series, (The fact that it is being enacted in "real time"...)
Last edited by Lord Jim on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Since children play key roles, it would be difficult to not have some similar advance in the time plot.

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

However...

Arya remains pre-pubescent in both the books and film, although the actress is now 18 or so. I think she was 9-10 in the opening scene of the series, when she was taking fencing lessons. This leads me to believe that the total time frame is less than 2 years. but that's just my guess.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Season six begins tonight...

I guess now we'll find out who's really dead and who just seemed dead...
ImageImageImage

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Well, Myrcella is definitely dead. That doesn't bode well for Tommen.

Jon Snow is dead, but Kit Harington is still credited (although they also credited Charles Dance in the opening credits for his corpse scenes as well).

I still think Jon Snow gets resurrected via Melisandre, and the ending of the episode could point that way.

Stannis is most likely dead, but they still didn't show his corpse.

Doran and Trystane got added to the body count.

Lots more story lines didn't get touched on this episode. I know Bran is supposed to return for this season, and his storyline ran out of the books back in Season 4.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Yo Datsun...

Posts that contain spoilers (especially just one day after the show airs) should probably also contain spoiler alerts... ;)
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Game Of Thrones...

Post by RayThom »

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Hodor gets throat surgery and goes on to become the greatest interpreter of tragedies by Aeschylus.

Prometheus Bickle: You talkin' to me, Zeus? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here on this mountain. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to, Zeus? Oh yeah?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

RayThom wrote:SPOILER ALERT!!!

Hodor gets throat surgery and goes on to become the greatest interpreter of tragedies by Aeschylus.

Prometheus Bickle: You talkin' to me, Zeus? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here on this mountain. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to, Zeus? Oh yeah?
Damn, now I am never watching that show again.
:arg

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

"Game of Thrones" has dragons, right?  And this is under the "Arts" section of the board, correct?
So I guess I can 'stick' this here —

Created out of more than a quarter-million matchsticks by artist Patrick Acton, it features wings that flap, fierce reptilian sounds, and (simulated) fire breathing.  It will be on display at the Matchstick Marvels museum in Gladbrook IA (about 45 miles southwest of Waterloo, IA) through June, when it will be relocated to its permanent home in one of the Ripley's "Believe It or Not" museums.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?