The Best Music

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Crackpot

The Best Music

Post by Crackpot »

A Thread for the best Music the stuff that just rises above the res by genre artist or whatever
Last edited by Crackpot on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Re: The Best Musice

Post by Crackpot »

P.S. As I'm pretty much going through my entire CD collection I'll probably be posting fairly often here.

Gob

Re: The Best Musice

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

darkblack

Re: The Best Music

Post by darkblack »

Hmm, interesting...How does one go about embedding youtubes into this forum? I wouldn't want to offend the eye with reams of ghastly code.

;)
Hitman for the Riboflavin Tong

dales

Post by dales »

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

darkblack wrote:Hmm, interesting...How does one go about embedding youtubes into this forum? I wouldn't want to offend the eye with reams of ghastly code.

;)
Click on the youtube tab then put in the video ID string which is the bit after v=

for example:

Code: Select all

full string is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vHvzybkqfo so the bit needed is:  [youtube]4vHvzybkqfo[youtube]
that gets you this:
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

DarkBlack! me amigo-alien, props!

Where you been?

darkblack

Post by darkblack »

Thank you, RB - Let's make an attempt at momentary entertainment.

La chica loca! Props to you also...Merely trying to live un día a la vez, antes de que me hacen correr.

:D

Gob

Post by Gob »

Arrghh...... N-o-o-o-o...Prog rock.... Run away.....

Ok, how about this for the BEST cover version of any song any time anywhere...

Art rock vs post rock

or

Radiohead play Joy Division/New Order..

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

darkblack

Post by darkblack »

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Gob will understand when I say ... "How do you do ..."

[action] "Hen grabs coat and leaves thread" [/action]
Bah!

darkblack

Post by darkblack »

Gob

Post by Gob »

From the ridiculous, to the sublime...

rubato

Post by rubato »

Anthrax, horrible 1,2,3,4, rock for children. I actually listened to the first 2 minutes. A bad waste of time in a short life.

Cocteau twins. I listened to part of that too. Thin. Too thin to ever listen to again but I respect people who are doing their best. Even when, like this, it’s just not very good. Oh look she’s doing call and response! And she’s doing both parts! Not worth any more time.

Bosco: Tries to be clever and ironic and fails at any larger point; but let us face it, these are people trying to make a living as musicians and not really driven by any personal aesthetic. They’re professionals and do a good job with material selected based on its commercial appeal. Can’t say much else about it.

The Clash: definitely of my generation and I’d like to say something positive about it it .. but .. really .. they didn’t have all that much to say musically or socially. Ok, it resonates with some personal memories but in the cold light of day and with the perspective of history that don’t cut enough ice to be worth it.

Night after night. UK Blues. Good musicians. I’d listen to that again.

Radiohead doing a “new Order” cover. The weak following the even weaker. Louis Armstrong doing “Black and Blue” is a shocking rendition of someone else’s song (Fats Waller) that can shatter your life. This is just crap doing crap.

“Clutch” I got bored after 40 seconds of 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 crap rock chords. Let me know if I missed something.
“20th century boy” doing what rock does well but not any improvement on Humble Pie &c.

“George Formby” From the era when people understood that their job was to entertain and didn’t fret about making ‘art’. Does his job very well. I have to respect that.

Steely Dan: Very well crafted pop. You like it or you don’t. No real dependence on instrumental virtuosity (not that this is a bad thing). I've never bought any of their records and this does nothing to change that arc of history.

Arvo Part: not part of this thread is it? Oh right, someone is trying to affect taste? Here? In this thread? A little grasping isn't it? Ok that was nice and I'd listen to it again.

Gasping, more like.

yrs,
rubato

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

After that drivel a foe is born

rubato

Post by rubato »

Is it because I don't like "Anthrax" or because I don't like "Anthrax and have the respect for the mental capacity of others to say so?

Which one?

yrs,
rubato

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Gob

Post by Gob »

John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia "Lotus feet"

(Now go find the version by Steve Vai , and see a thing of beauty reduced to guitar wank.)

rubato

Post by rubato »

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Now that is just perfectly lovely.

Two superb instrumentalists who know what their talent is for.

yrs,
rubato