Mr Holmes

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Mr Holmes

Post by Gob »

Seeing this tonight

May as well, no fucking cricket on! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Mr Holmes

Post by Econoline »

"...fucking cricket..."???

Now that version actually sounds a bit interesting!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I'm sure they'd find a way to make it long boring and anticlimactic.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I wrote a treatise some years ago, with an old Sherlock Holmes, (coaxed out of retirement) in 1912, who journeys to The Continent to recover the plans for "The Ultimate Bomb" before they should fall into the hands of The Kaiser...

The investigation leads him to Belgium, where the locals pair him up with the assistance of a young ambitious Gendarme Detective named Hercule Poirot...

I thought the combination of an old Holmes and a young Poirot had enormous plot potential...
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I wrote a Holmes short story many years ago. It involved a serious dispute at the British Museum over a purported map of what is now the US east coast. If the map were genuine, then the claim that Vikings were the first Europeans to find the Americas were incorrect. Holmes denounced the map as a forgery without even looking at it.

Watson was baffled. How could Holmes have known? It was, said Holmes, elementary and axiomatic. "One must under no circumstance, my dear Watson, put the cartographer before the Norse"

I am open to cinematic offers....
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Good film, go see.

Full review in the blog, soon.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

For those of you who enjoyed Mr Holmes, the movie, can I recommend the book it is based on;

Picked it up in a charity shop, read a few pages while waiting for Hen at the hairdressers, and am totally captivated and hooked. Beautifully written, and true to the canon.