I dont go there .

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
MajGenl.Meade

Re: I dont go there .

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

People who think that Your Show of Shows and You Bet Your Life were 30-minute sitcoms:
Lord Jim

People who think they were not:
Everyone else
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Hey, dated humor is dated humor... 8-)

And you brought up Carol Burnett; that wasn't a 30 minute sitcom either...
ImageImageImage

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

CAN'T WATCH:
"Reality" TV, including talent scout programs,
Anything with a laugh track,
Daytime Soaps, Daytime "talk,"
Most contemporary "comedies,"
Anything associated with the she-devil, Shonda Rhimes.

MUST WATCH:
Homeland, Game of Thrones, other selected Cable drama,
Wheeler Dealers,
Bluebloods, NCIS (various),
Grand Slam tennis and golf,
60 minutes, when I can.

Shark Tank can be very entertaining but I'm not sure I would actually set aside the time to watch a fresh one. Like some other shows, I sometimes see it when I'm flipping around and if it looks good I'll remain there for a while.

TV Comedy is mostly drek, and it always has been. The humor is gross, painfully predictable, and often not funny at all because it simply makes the audience "laugh" with discomfort - "2 Broke Girls" being Exhibit A. It is monumentally difficult to write scripts that are consistently funny, and even the best programs must be given some slack in that regard. My faves over the years have been Monty Python, Barney Miller, Roseanne, M*A*S*H, Bob Newhart. The original "Saturday Night Live," and R&W's "Laugh In," were both extremely funny to me at the time. The Big Bang Theory seems to be funny now, but I only watch it when I happen to come across it while channel flipping. I couldn't say when it is scheduled.

The Honeymooners was mildly entertaining when presented because the alternative programming was sparse. It was amateurish and the characters (Ralph and Norton) were cartoon-like; it all made sense when I learned that Gleason refused to rehearse because it would spoil the spontaneity of the show. A lazy jerk justifying his unwillingness to work.

wesw

Post by wesw »

holly has downloaded three new episodes of Still Open All Hours.....

yippee!!!!

I m watching an old one on MPT right now!!!

Last of the Summer Wine is on next!!!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

dgs49 wrote:The humor is gross, painfully predictable, and often not funny at all because it simply makes the audience "laugh" with discomfort
The states precisely and concisely why I've never been able to stand some "old classics" like I Love Lucy.
dgs49 wrote: My faves over the years have been Monty Python, Barney Miller, Roseanne, M*A*S*H, Bob Newhart. The original "Saturday Night Live," and R&W's "Laugh In," were both extremely funny to me at the time.
I'd agree with all of those (except I never watched Barney Miller; no particular reason, I just didn't) and I'd add The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The Honeymooners - Donald Trump would have made an excellent Cramden. Rude, mean-spirited, sexist, selfish, unkind, threatening, blustering, lying....

"Vulgarity is no substitute for wit"
- the Dowager Countess of Grantham
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Trying to figure out why some people really like shows like The Honeymooners and Lucy. Do those who like them just have a bigger tolerance of irritating and incompetent characters, so that their annoyance doesn't overwhelm the humor involved? The only comedy I can think of that I like that had truly irritating characters is Seinfeld, and that only worked because those characters were limited, and, of course, there was exceptional writing. In fact, a lot of so-called comedies are well-liked despite their mediocre writing because their characters are likeable (e.g., Friends).

wesw

Post by wesw »

I like Sanford and son because the characters are like people I knew in real life as a child. lamont was pretty lame, but fred grady bubba and aunt esther were very much like the black folks I knew when I was young.

same with last of the summer wine, and open all hours, they remind me of home, and the white folks that I knew

also fools and horses, their life in London, at the nelson mandela house, wasn t much different than my teen years in the apt complex,,,,

I knew someone like every character on the show

wesw

Post by wesw »

been watching a show on mpt lately. a british show called 'the detectorists', pretty funny.

british shows are much better than American in my opinion.

I have never seen "east enders' tho, is it worth watching?

Gob

Post by Gob »

No.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Long Run wrote:Trying to figure out why some people really like shows like The Honeymooners and Lucy. Do those who like them just have a bigger tolerance of irritating and incompetent characters, so that their annoyance doesn't overwhelm the humor involved?
Yes

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Here are a couple of really "incompetent" characters:

ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Trump and running mate?

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, and Martin & Lewis. I never got it. One person being mean to another, and the other one taking it. And of course the Three Stooges - funny until I turned 13.

Not funny.

wesw

Post by wesw »

well, I haven t seen this in 35 yrs, I hope that it is still funny. we ll see...

wesw

Post by wesw »

yep. still funny.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Some people who think The Honeymooners was funny:
Lord Jim
oldr_n_wsr
FTFY

And yes LJ you watch too much TV, but who am I to judge.

I used to more TV, but there is very little on now that interests me. I do have a TV in my basement workshop that I put on when working, but it's more for background noise than anything else.

Over new years, I kept switching between the 'mooners and the twilight zone. Saw a few TZ episodes I never saw before. That was cool.

And I watched the entire Jets game over hte weekend. I shouldn't have bothered. :arg

Last night after my AA meeting I put on something on nat geo. Some group of wolves going after a stag. Fell asleep before they took it down, or it got away, I'll never know.

After my AA meeting tonight I will spackle the holes in the walls of my daughters old room. The wife has some plans for that room which invovles me doing work.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

You just did... :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Lord Jim wrote:
You just did... :mrgreen:
It's one of my character defects I am working on. Seems I have to work a little harder. :mrgreen:

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:The Honeymooners - Donald Trump would have made an excellent Cramden. Rude, mean-spirited, sexist, selfish, unkind, threatening, blustering, lying....
Wife beating is just one reason The Honeymooners was not funny.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.