I dont go there .

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
kmccune

I dont go there .

Post by kmccune »

As I become a bit older with less energy for frivolous things ,there are genres and shows ,I simply refuse to watch anymore (or very rarely )
1. So called reality shows .
2. Vampire shows.
3. Do it yourself TV ,that would spend as much on a Kitchen or bathroom as some peoples entire dwellings (and the Hosts acting like they are doing a lot of the work)
4. Action shows ,where 5-6 people outrun explosions and can defeat an entire army.
5. Dating shows.
6. Soap operas.
7. Infomercial Car shows.
The list goes on,anyone else ? :shrug

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: I dont go there .

Post by Econoline »

I'm sure I've got you beat: I don't own a television anymore.

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'm shying away from all TV. Having been back in the UK has reminded me how shite Aus TV is.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Except for #4, (I watch a lot of those; all three NCIS shows, Person Of Interest, The Blacklist, The Transporter, Hawaii Five-0, a few others) I have never been a fan of any of the other types of shows on that list...

(Well, I guess Deadliest Catch counts as a "reality" show...)

One type of show that I used to watch that I rarely do anymore is the 30 minute sitcom...

Most of the ones I've checked out that have been in production in the past decade seem like pretty much crap to me...

The last 30 minute sitcom I think I really liked was Becker...

ETA:

Yeah I know oldr, I watch too much television...

I should spend my free time installing hardwood floors and rebuilding transmissions... :P :nana
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

I will admit to liking a good cooking show, (Masterchef, my kitchen rules, bake off,) but these are all Pommy imports in any case.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Almost anything on LJ's "must-watch" list.... he's my bellwether for LCD shows :nana
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I watch Criminal Minds but only because of a serious lust for Thomas Gibson.
I also watch Big Bang Theory because my husband likes it.
We watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy lately for some reason.
Rarely I will watch Storage Wars and Antique Roadshow.

That's all folks.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

In the spirit of January 2nd:

TV drama series - none
Used to watch Elementary & Sherlock but just forgot to watch the first after the first 1.5 series and the latter hasn't been on since 2014 but watched The Abominable Bride last night and had to duck the jumping shark)

Reality shows - The Amazing Race
Because it seems "genuine" and I enjoy the travel/views of the world

Comedy
The Big Bang Theory - smartest comedy currently winding up

Soccer
Premier League on NBC Sports; Bundesliga & English Championship on Fox Soccer; Spanish, Italian, French leagues on BEIN. Plus Champions League, Europa League, the old English League Cup and the FA CUP and the Euro domestic cups spread amongst 'em

Cleveland Browns - it's a masochist thing, fortunately limited to 16 weeks

Netflix: Frasier (still the best US comedy ever); River; Longmire; Legend (but beginning to drift into forgotten).

My wife watches Downton Abbey.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Frasier (still the best US comedy ever)
I assume you live in a timeline where they never made The Honeymooners...
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I lived in one where The Honeymooners never managed to be funny except to lowbrows
:nana

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Lord Jim wrote:
Frasier (still the best US comedy ever)
I assume you live in a timeline where they never made The Honeymooners...
I agree that Frazier was the best. The few Honeymooners I have seen were not, in the remotest sense, amusing.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

... and definitely devoid of wit.

Mind, Carol Burnett... that was some show but I never saw an entire one
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

Well satellite TV left the casa a while back and I cant say that I miss it(why pay to watch commercials- when you get them for free ?) I have had this discussion with the poor unfortunate souls that work answaering the phones for these networks . Until I can get ala carte' commercial free Tv , I seriously doubt if I will partake of their offerings again.
I noticed one of the providers dropped ESPN on their basic package, no great loss for me .I will concede that while in the joint ,I got "hooked " on " Deadliest Catch " and really liked "Axmen " .

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I don't know what's the matter with you two...You need to have your senses of humor examined... :P

I still can't watch most of The Honeymooners episodes without cracking up...

Better Living Through TV is probably the funniest single sitcom episode ever made...

Frasier was okay, but right off the top of my head I can think of more than a dozen sitcoms that were funnier...

Barney Miller, The Jack Benny Show, Taxi, All In the Family, Sanford and Son, Becker, Cheers, Soap, The Addams Family, Fernwood Tonight, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Bob Newhart Show, Seinfeld...

Even Wings was funnier...
ImageImageImage

wesw

Post by wesw »

we still watch Sanford and son....

when I was doing the jack of all trades thing, it included hauling and scrapping, and I always amused myself by humming the Sanford theme...

I still threaten holly with a Sanford and son magnet for my truck.....

I made oak siderails and everything, but they became part of a chicken coop last summer.....

and I watched barney miller every day, in re runs, after school..., great theme for that one too.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Lord Jim wrote:I don't know what's the matter with you two...You need to have your senses of humor examined... :P

I still can't watch most of The Honeymooners episodes without cracking up...

Better Living Through TV is probably the funniest single sitcom episode ever made...

Frasier was okay, but right off the top of my head I can think of more than a dozen sitcoms that were funnier...

Barney Miller, The Jack Benny Show, Taxi, All In the Family, Sanford and Son, Becker, Cheers, Soap, The Addams Family, Fernwood Tonight, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Bob Newhart Show, Seinfeld...

Even Wings was funnier...

You are the one who needs his humor examined for fault. Some of those I never watched more than once if ever, the Addams family was hilarious-up to adulthood-loved MTM but still didn't think it was as funny as Frazier same with Bob Newhart. I never watched Seinfeld past one time-blerg. Jack Benny-not so much as a chuckle what a disgusting man.

To each his own I guess.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

As I said, LCD.

Barney Miller, The Jack Benny Show, Taxi, All In the Family, Sanford and Son, Becker, Cheers, Soap, The Addams Family, Fernwood Tonight, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Bob Newhart Show, Seinfeld

Fernwood Tonight had its moments. The DVD Show was fun when I was a child (but see below). Newhart as a comedic presence was funny - especially on The Big Bang Theory (those kids learned a thing or two about timing).

Seinfeld was original and I enjoy watching it. The rest - brainless pap for pre-adolescents.

... oh, and Sanford and Son was a beyond pale, almost translucent, imitation of Steptoe and Son

The common denominator of the good ones was wit - of which all but 2 or 3 of LJ's list wouldn't have recognized if it bit their ankles.

Oh, and Cheers had its good moments, especially when Coach was alive - but overall, tedious when Sam/Diane or Sam/that other girl with the good hair were the focus

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

As to the original post, there are good, mediocre and bad shows in every category. Good being in the minority. Not all categories are for every person (you know, so like, some people like chocolate and some like vanilla).

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

MajGenl.Meade wrote: Frasier (still the best US comedy ever
TPFKA@W wrote: I agree

Thought you might need this...... :lol:

:ok

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The common denominator of the good ones was wit - of which all but 2 or 3 of LJ's list wouldn't have recognized if it bit their ankles.
Okay, that's it General...

I hereby sentence you to watch a 12 hour Two Broke Girls marathon... :fu :nana
ImageImageImage