For Anyone who has Amazon Prime....

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Lord Jim

Re: For Anyone who has Amazon Prime....

Post by Lord Jim »

I was thinking that a season 4 must already be in the works...

To end the series that way would be a real cheat on the audience...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

After I posted I found an online article in which BBT says he hopes to explore more aspects of the character, so it sounds like it’s just up to David E. Kelley & Amazon Studios.

I really love the show - so many flawed and struggling characters to appreciate. :ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

BTW for any Dennis Quaid fans, if you missed it when it aired I highly recommend this show, also available on Amazon Prime:

Vegas

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2262383/

The show is set in early 1960s Las Vegas. Quaid plays a Walt Longmire-type character who is the reluctant sheriff of Clark County (where Las Vegas is located). His main foil is played by Michael (The Shield) Chiklis...

The screen chemistry between these two consummate professionals is outstanding; the wrting and direction is excellent and there's a very strong supporting cast.

It ran on CBS 2012-2013 for just one season but there are 21 episodes. (The story arc is such that it works as a one season show; it could easily have run for multiple seasons, but it doesn't end with an audience cheating major cliff hanger. This is frequently a problem with even really good shows that get cancelled after just one year.)

The show got a lot of critical praise and decent ratings, (The same network that ran Two Broke Girls for five seasons cancels a quality show like this after one...go figure...) and if it had been on any other network besides CBS, it would almost certainly have been renewed.

It had better ratings then either Bones or Castle (at the time the two highest-rated hour long dramas on FOX and ABC respectively) and almost certainly would have been renewed on any network other than CBS. CBS at the time was awash in high-rated hour long dramas (The NCIS franchise, Elementary, Hawaii 5-0, Person Of Interest, Criminal Minds, etc...)

Plus the show was reportedly expensive to produce (I imagine Quaid and Chiklis didn't come cheap.)

Four stars; Jim Bob says check it out.
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I had a client who liked to watch Two Broke Girls every evening after dinner. Ah, the joys of caregiving! That show was on par with FOX News for nails on the chalkboard annoyance.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:I had a client who liked to watch Two Broke Girls every evening after dinner.
Tried to watch it a couple of times and started oozing IQ points immediately; had to shut the tv off since I need to keep all the smarts I got. 8-) An interesting list (and sociological study) might be terrible tv shows that made a lot of money.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

As long as you're talking TV shows that seem to be bad but still make a lot of money ... how about any of the 'Bachelor'/'Bachelorette' shows or the newest must-see TV, 'The Masked Singer'?  I mean, even I'm not that hard up for companionship/romance that I would let myself get roped into something like "the Bachelorette".
And could someone please tell me what it is that is so compelling about a bunch of D-list celebs singing while wearing elaborate Mardi Gras costumes that makes otherwise intelligent people go ape-shit over "who's under the mask"?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

BoSoxGal wrote:I had a client who liked to watch Two Broke Girls every evening after dinner. Ah, the joys of caregiving! That show was on par with FOX News for nails on the chalkboard annoyance.
Long Run wrote:
BoSoxGal wrote:I had a client who liked to watch Two Broke Girls every evening after dinner.
Tried to watch it a couple of times and started oozing IQ points immediately; had to shut the tv off since I need to keep all the smarts I got. 8-) An interesting list (and sociological study) might be terrible tv shows that made a lot of money.
Hey, you guys should stop hatin' on Meade's favorite show... 8-)
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

TBG: "Rumor has it" that this show only survived as long as it did because its "stars" had some first hand experience with Les Moonves -- if you know what I mean.

Thankfully, this insipid comedy show was finally canceled just as Moonves' sexual misconduct was causing problems behind the scene.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I've never heard of "Two Broke Girls" so I have no clue what it's about.

But it did remind me of something I overheard at parent's night at my daughter's school - she must have been about grade 4 so it was late nineties. Google was brand spanking new. Guy in the row behind me was telling his friend about how he went looking for details of a popular cooking show. "You should see what comes up when you type in 'Two Fat Ladies'!"

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

The larger of the Two Fat Ladies, Clarissa Dickson Wright, died at the age of 66 on March 15, 2014 from an undisclosed illness which led to her death from pneumonia.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The new season of Bosch is in! (just watched the first three episodes; really good start)

Between that and Season 3 of Ozarks coming in on Netflix, my binge watching schedule for the next few days is set.. :ok
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m excited for that, but currently watching old Star Trek TNG Borg episodes halfway through watching Picard.

You’ll enjoy Ozark 3, excellent as usual.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I agree, season 3 of Ozark was excellent. The homage to Of Mice and Men was devastating, still shaking from that.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Okay, I’m started on the new Bosch.

It frustrates me so much that despite rewatching the season 5 trailer and then watching the lengthy recap of season 5, I have only a fuzzy memory of what happened. I understand this is how memory works in the aging brain, but it still bothers me.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Season 6 of Bosch is triggering my PTSD from 3.5 years being stalked by Sovereign Citizens in redneck Montana - they are pretty scary and far too often murderous people.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

For those of you with access to BBC programs..

Check out "inside number 9" Avialable on BBC Iplayer

Warning, this is VERY dark British humour, it may be too strong for you delicate petals over there. ;-)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I don't know if we have any other Homeland devotees here, (I'm a huge fan) and last night they had the series finale...

Absolutely riveting non-stop tension and twists from beginning to end, and the final surprise twist at the very end fit brilliantly...

A very well done finish to a high quality show... :ok
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:30 am
For those of you with access to BBC programs..

Check out "inside number 9" Avialable on BBC Iplayer

Warning, this is VERY dark British humour, it may be too strong for you delicate petals over there. ;-)
I'll give that a try if it ever shows up in South Africa.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Lord Jim wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm
I don't know if we have any other Homeland devotees here, (I'm a huge fan) and last night they had the series finale...

Absolutely riveting non-stop tension and twists from beginning to end, and the final surprise twist at the very end fit brilliantly...

A very well done finish to a high quality show... :ok
Can I ask a question about Homeland? I’m trying to figure out where I left off after watching a few seasons a couple of years ago. If I try to read episode synopses I will end up with spoilers.

The last season I saw was the one where at the end she is released in the night to her mentor Saul and she’s messed up from going a long while without her meds. Which season was that?
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Hmm...

That sounds like there could be a couple of possibilities..

Do you recall if it was during the Nicholas Brody story arc? (That was the first three seasons)

The IMDB link might help:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1796960/

Just check out the last episode of the season descriptions and see which one matches best with your recollection...
ImageImageImage