And Yet Another Netflix Recommendation..."Murdoch Mysteries"

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Lord Jim

And Yet Another Netflix Recommendation..."Murdoch Mysteries"

Post by Lord Jim »

I came across this one channel surfing one day...

I caught an episode from the latest season on Ovation, (It's a Canadian produced show; in the US it's called The Artful Detective)

I then looked it up and found all nine seasons on Netflix...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091909/

We're now nearly to the end of Season 2...

(There was also a short three episode version a few years earlier: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386955/?ref_=tt_rec_tti )

The show is set in 1890's Toronto, and it has some similarities to Ripper Street...

Particularly in the use of early versions of modern forensics and scientific evidence gathering methods...

But I wouldn't say that anyone who liked Ripper Street will also like this show, (though I like both of them) because it's less "dark" and gritty than Ripper Street, and more on the campy and witty side...

The main character, William Murdoch, (played by Yannick Bisson, who I had never heard of before) is such an up-tight Mr. Perfect...brilliant, an absolute gentleman, completely incorruptible, morally up-right, and glaringly handsome...

that I've frequently found myself wishing somebody would hit him in the face with a pie...

Though about half way through the second season he seems to be finally getting the pole out of his ass, and confronting the possibility that moral "right and wrong" might be a bit more complicated than he had assumed...(falling in love can have that effect...)

None of this is to say that the show would qualify as some sort of comedy spoof...(there are some very heavy issues dealt with, particularly as the series has been progressing through the second season...)

And the mysteries are well crafted, with a lot of plot twists, and there's also an excellent ensemble supporting cast....

Another interesting thing they do in the show in a number of episodes is bring in historical figures from the period...

So far they've had Nikola Tesla, Arthur Conan Doyle is in a couple of episodes, as well as Wild Bill's Wild West Show (with Bill Hickock and Annie Oakley) and Harry Houdini...

Some of the episodes are a lot more "serious" than others...(one we recently watched dealing with abortion was just about as serious as you can get...on the other hand, the one with Houdini was hilarious...)

In any event, if you like a well cast, well written mystery show and you haven't seen this one...

Lord Jim Bob says check it out...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Re: And Yet Another Netflix Recommendation..."Muroch Mysteri

Post by Scooter »

I hadn't realized it would be carried in the U.S. or I would have recommended. I really enjoy it.

As the seasons progress, he does pull that pole out of his ass (pretty much). I'm also a fan of shows that set themselves in some real historical context through characters, etc.

I hadn't realized it had been running for nine seasons. It certainly hasn't gotten stale for me.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Re: And Yet Another Netflix Recommendation..."Murdoch Myster

Post by Gob »

Where do you guys get the time to watch so much TV? I'm lucky to watch an hour a night. ( Plus national and local news.)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

~sigh~

As I have explained numerous times before...

Between having a six year old son, and 16 year old daughter, (who we have to wait at home for to make sure she gets home on time) we are largely home bound...

Watching television is what we do in the evening now in lieu of having a social life... 8-)
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

Lord Jim wrote:
Watching television is what we do in the evening now in lieu of having a social life... 8-)
Ok, so when do I get a 'social life" then?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Ok, so when do I get a 'social life" then?
I'm sure I don't know...

That sounds like a personal problem... :P
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

We're now up to Season 5 Episode 9...

Murdoch is an extraordinarily intelligent fellow as a detective...

But he's been a complete prat when it comes to his personal relationships...

He's screwed the pooch three times (At least up to season 5) in his relations with Dr Ogden...

But I suspect that ultimately, Detective Murdoch and Dr. Ogden are going to wind up together... :ok
Last edited by Lord Jim on Mon May 16, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I am saying nothing ;)

But yes, he is pretty much completely socially retarded.

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Yesterday we watched the last episode of the current season, Season 10...(We watched it on "Ovation" which has it listed as "The Artful Detective"...)

There's obviously going to be a Season 11...

Here's one of the most remarkable (and a little spooky) things about this series...

Here's a group shot of the four main characters from Season 1:

And here's one from Season 10:

The show's been on for 10 years, but they look like they've barely aged a day...

Especially Yannick Bisson, (the actor who plays William Murdoch)

One of the episodes this season had a "fountain of youth" theme...

Maybe they actually found it...
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Lord Jim wrote:There's obviously going to be a Season 11...
Yes, there will be. They announced it in March (they usually announce a new season in the last few weeks of the current broadcast season).

And Bisson for sure still looks quite youthful for his age (he is 47).

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Season 13 began tonight on CBC. Not sure how quickly it will be available on Netflix.

-- Author unknown