Musical insult!

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Musical insult!

Post by Gob »

It seems as though in Austria, the popular yodel is an insult to Muslims.

An Austrian court has recently fined a citizen for yodeling while mowing his lawn, according to a report in The Kronen Zeitung newspaper.

The citizen, 63-year-old Helmut G., was told by the court that his yodeling offended his next-door Muslim neighbors, who accused him of trying to mock and imitate the call of the Muezzin.

In Muslim tradition, the Muezzin is the chosen person at a mosque who leads the call to prayer at Friday services and the five daily times for prayer from one of the mosque's minarets.

The yodel is a song which is sung with an extended note which rapidly and repeatedly changes in pitch and makes a high-low-high-low sound. Developed in the Central Alps as a method of communication between alpine mountaineers or between alpine villages, the yodel later became part of the region's traditional lore and musical expression. The technique is used in many cultures throughout the world and Austria is one of the countries where it is most popular.

Unfortunately for Helmut G., his neighbors were in the middle of a prayer when he started to yodel. The Kronen Zeitung reported that he was fined 800 Euros after judges ruled that he could have tried to offend his neighbors and ridicule their belief.

Helmut G. clarified that “It was not my intention to imitate or insult them. I simply started to yodel a few tunes because I was in such a good mood.”

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/141152
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Re: Musical insult!

Post by dales »

Muslims seem to be offended by almost everything imaginable.

Solution:

Go back to where you came from.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My general feeling is, if he was offended, too bad--why should the action be a punishable offense even if he intended to offend by it. But then, this is under Austrian law, a place where (as i recall) someone saying publicly that the holocaust did not occur can be punished as well. Just another argument for keeping free speech alive and well.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Total bullsh*#. It's Austria for chrisesake. I was in Austria many years ago and the shop keepers and waiters all did a bit of yodeling (not loud but noticeable) while doing mundane chores. This is totally ridiculous.