Best Police Procedurals

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Best Police Procedurals

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Blimey, you're only on Series 1? Mucho deficient Oz methinks

But you're right - you and a couple of others here relate as I do to those days
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Very much enjoying the "Morse" prequel "Endeavour"
I'm through season four; very good stuff...
lovely 60's nostalgia fest.
Much like Inspector George Gently in that regard...
ImageImageImage

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Just starting Endeavour - with the current season. I’ll go catch up over the winter. I may not remember the 60s, but there is much about it that I love to see!

Loved Broadchurch. One of the best ever. Top of the Lake was similarly really well done.

My Swede is into the new Sharp Objects (HBO), based on the Gillian Flynn novel.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

There was a second season released of Top of the Lake - China Girl. It was excellent; here’s a review.

https://m.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/arti ... idman-even
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

If you liked Broadchurch, you'll probably like this one, (we just watched the first of 8 episodes last night; it's on Netflix)

Safe:

ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Lord Jim wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:54 pm
I somehow missed your original post about this series BSG, but I caught the first installment last fall after watching the lead actor (Billy Campbell) in a very different type of show. (The 4400- a Sci-fi series about 4400 people who disappeared over a 60 year period suddenly returning en masse, without having aged...if you like Sci-fi with time travel and/or humans with enhanced abilities themes, I highly recommend it.)

I agree that Cardinal is an excellent series; very well written and tautly crafted suspense without a lot of filler. We binge watched the second installment over the long weekend. (If anything, I think it's even stronger than the first season.)

My only complaint is that they only create six episodes per year. The good news is that season three is already in the can. (It was shot last fall) After the first series it was renewed for two more installments. Here's an article about season 3:
Bridget Liszewski | October 10, 2017 |

Production is now underway on the third cycle of the original drama Cardinal, CTV and Super Écran announced Tuesday. Starring Billy Campbell (The Killing) [Another excellent police suspense/mystery show] and Karine Vanasse (Revenge), this installment of Cardinal will be inspired by By the Time You Read This and Crime Machine, the fourth and fifth novels in the John Cardinal Mysteries series written by Ontario native Giles Blunt. Cycle three will once again consist of six, hour-long episodes and is being shot in North Bay, Ontario and Toronto.
More:

http://www.thetvjunkies.com/cardinal-pr ... ctv-drama/

They've even got a short preview of season 3 (It's not real informative)

Season 4 just completed on CBC; you should check out whatever streaming service carried the earlier seasons for the new one.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Thanks for the heads up, Scooter.
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Gob wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:47 am

Whitechapel was fab, I loved that.
Been enjoying it now, good call. For us, it is on Amazon Prime.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I just started the Dublin Murder Squad based on my adored Tana French books. Its on Starz and terrific!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

January 2021 and still no season 4 of Cardinal on Hulu or anywhere else in the USA. I’m flummoxed because all I could find on the web says it should’ve released on Hulu here June 2020.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Doesn't appear that Hulu has a clue either, given their lack of response about it in their community forum.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Old Geezer checking in with votes for reading--Ed McBain 82nd Precinct series. I have no idea how many books are in this series. Perhaps 20?
But after a while you learn about various well-developed personalities; some cops, some the families of cops, some re-occuring villains. I think it made it to American tv. But for me, reading is always better. My own imaginary stage has better lighting and special effects.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 am
Doesn't appear that Hulu has a clue either, given their lack of response about it in their community forum.
By the time it releases I’ll have to watch the whole damn series again because I don’t remember anything. Except that it was really good and has two gorgeous leads so I can endure another showing. Someday . . .
~ Carl Sagan