Ozark

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Long Run

Ozark

Post by Long Run »

Next TV series up is Ozark on Netflix. Strong cast, good writing, fun premise -- will help with the withdrawals caused by the end of Breaking Bad.

BoSoxGal

Re: Ozark

Post by BoSoxGal »

I binged it when it released - very good, excellent performances from Jason Bateman and Laura Linney!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Why would I want to watch a series about survivalists building a boat in Australia?
:lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Took me a minute . . . and then I thought, what a dumb joke. :lol:

Oz Ark
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

We watched the first two episodes of Ozark last night...

Definitely a winner... :ok

(Though I'd probably compare it more to Better Call Saul then Breaking Bad, since the protagonist is a lot more sympathetic then Walter White...at least so far...)
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Isn't Jason Bateman fantastic? I admit to still having not yet watched Arrested Development, in which I gather he's very good - but remembering him mostly as a youth actor, I was terrifically impressed by his work in this role.

And agreed, it's more akin to BCS.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

My two favorite lines so far:

"if I want to put all $7,945,400 into a hot tub, get buck naked and play Scrooge McDuck, that is 100% my business."

"The satisfying sound of your lover hitting the pavement is the only thing that gets me to sleep"
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Ozark is back for another strong season. Was just as good as the first season.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Watched it a couple of weeks ago :ok
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I am just started watching season 2 now; very frustrated that it seems to be filmed in very dark lighting uniformly. I’ve checked my tablet and the lighting is set very high - plus I’ve watched a bunch of other things in recent days and they haven’t been swallowed up in darkness like this.

Did anyone else notice this?
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

No, I've had that problem with some episodes of Game Of Thrones, but not with Ozark...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Season 4, second part, became available yesterday. Still going strong even as the dislike of some of the characters grows.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:52 pm
Season 4, second part, became available yesterday. Still going strong even as the dislike of some of the characters grows.
Did they release them all at once? I hate being strung along for weeks.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Long Run wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 pm
Next TV series up is Ozark on Netflix. Strong cast, good writing, fun premise -- will help with the withdrawals caused by the end of Breaking Bad.
Drug running, money laundering, violence, and death ... that's your idea of a "fun premise"?  You were probably rolling in the aisles with laughter during "The Godfather" — especially the line about "Leave the gun ... take the cannoli".  Ab-so-fuckin-lutely hilarious!!  That's comedy gold right there.

And then you've got to be enrolled in and pay yet another subscription/streaming service in order to watch it.  They might as well make it a serial, like the old-time Zorro, Tarzan, Lone Ranger, or Perils of Pauline epics, and release them once a week in a theater and have us buy tickets to watch it.  At least the multiplexes serve popcorn and Ju-jubes, and the better theaters have nicer seating and a bigger screen than anything I could afford on my own.

No thanks.  I'll pass.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Yes BB, the Byrdes are evil, but that's not the premise. The premise is that Marty Byrde agreed to launder money, lots of money, for a drug cartel. It has been interesting, but never funny.

Apparently this will be the last "season". I don't know why seasons don't last a whole season anymore.
https://decider.com/2022/04/29/will-the ... -season-5/
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I watched it. While the whole series requires a fair amount of the suspension of disbelief, this last stint really pushed the envelope on that - the timeline of the plot was just so impossible and that annoyed me - lazy writers. Similarly the end just did not track with prior character development - more lazy writing.

That said it was very entertaining as the whole series has been. Bateman and Linney are just fantastic in the roles - Linney especially. Her portrayal of Wendy Byrde is a master class and a painful depiction of the lifelong effects of childhood abuse and trauma.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:49 am

Apparently this will be the last "season". I don't know why seasons don't last a whole season anymore.
https://decider.com/2022/04/29/will-the ... -season-5/
It looks like they are trying to beat the Sopranos, The Shield and Breaking Bad for endings that frustrate viewers. On the other hand, if you look at who was there at the beginning of the series and who is there at the end of the series, you realize why they didn't have Hank Williams Jr. singing Country Boy Can Survive as the fade out music.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:29 pm
On the other hand, if you look at who was there at the beginning of the series and who is there at the end of the series, you realize why they didn't have Hank Williams Jr. singing Country Boy Can Survive as the fade out music.
Nice! :ok :lol:
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Well, it does seem that no one's life was improved by meeting Wendy and Marty Byrde. Linney and Bateman were outstanding in their roles. I didn't hate the ending, but didn't love it, either.
GAH!