The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I wasn't sure I was going to like this one, (some of the descriptions I had read made it sound like kind of a rom-com to me) but my haircut lady, (she's not a "barber" and I'm not comfortable referring to my "hairstylist" ) highly recommended it and she's never steered me wrong with a viewing recommendation (It's an Amazon Prime original):
Set in 1950s Manhattan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is a 60-minute dramedy that centers on Miriam "Midge" Maisel, a sunny, energetic, sharp, Jewish girl who had her life mapped out for herself: go to college, find a husband, have kids, and throw the best Yom Kippur dinners in town. Soon enough, she finds herself exactly where she had hoped to be, living happily with her husband and two children in the Upper West Side.

A woman of her time, Midge is a cheerleader wife to a man who dreams of a stand-up comedy career, but her perfect life is turned upside down when her husband suddenly leaves her for another woman. Completely unprepared, Midge is left with no choice but to reevaluate what to do with her life.

When she accidentally stumbles onto the stage at a comedy club, she soon discovers her own comedic skills and decides to use this newfound talent to help her rebuild a different life for herself. The series will trace the trajectory of Midge's journey as she goes on to pursue a career ...
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5788792/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

It's a lot funnier than that fairly dry description would indicate...

(Sue, if you haven't seen it I think you in particular would like this; I'm sure a lot of the "cultural references" would sound familiar... 8-) )

In addition to the star, Rachel Brosnahan, (who's won both a Golden Globes Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy, and a Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Actress in a Comedy Series) there are fantastic performances turned in by the supporting cast...

Two particular standouts are Alex Borstein as Susie Myerson, Midge's über caustic manager, ( a role that a few years ago would probably have been played by Rhea Pearlman... I didn't think I was at all familiar with Borstein until I looked her up on IMDB and saw that she's been the voice of Lois Griffin on Family Guy for the past 20 years) and Tony Shaloub (Monk) as Midge's long-suffering father Abe. (Shaloub is probably the only major cast member who would be considered well-known.)

There are eight episodes with another eight that should be airing this fall. (It seemed to me like the main plot was developing kind of slowly, but that was because I didn't realize the story arc had been planned for 16 episodes rather than eight)

Outstanding acting, writing, and direction; a real quality production...

Four stars; Jim Bob says check it out...
ImageImageImage

Sue U

Re: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Post by Sue U »

As it happens, Jim, we just started on Marvelous Mrs. Maisel last night (on a recommendation from my cousin, so yeah, my tribe is on to it ;) ), and got through three episodes. There's a lot that's truly great about it, some that's not and some that I'm reserving judgment on until I see a bit more of where the character development/story arc goes. The acting is terrific and it is shot beautifully, with stunningly detailed artistic direction; it's worth watching for the set decoration alone. It looks like the creators love New York in the same way that Woody Allen does.
GAH!

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Mrs Mc and I watched all eight episodes when it came out. I enjoyed it. She liked Mrs Maisel's comedy, but not the story line so much.

There were a few similarities to my mother's situation living on Lon Gyland in 1958, although my biological father never (to my knowledge) aspired to be a stand-up comedian, or a stand-up guy for that matter. Neither did my mother, although she did have a good sense of humor. Had she been a guy, she's have been a stand-up one. We moved to Kansas instead, even though some NY neighbor ladies told her that Kansas was full of covered wagons and Indians. They'd seen Gunsmoke, so they knew.

I enjoyed the NYC scenes and especially the old cars, although a lot of the cars were shot repeatedly. I guess there are only so many '50s Packards available for TV movies. I'm a guy who can identify a '58 Pontiac from a shot of the rear quarter panel. Or was it the headlight? I forget. There's one in there. Watch for it.

Mrs Mc was not aware that Lenny Bruce, whose character appeared several times, was a real person.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

She liked Mrs Maisel's comedy, but not the story line so much.
I think the show could have used more of Midge's comedy and less Joel...(I was kind of hoping he'd be gone entirely by episode 4....)

I'm hopeful that the second installment, (with the "backstory" now fully completed) will be stronger in that regard... (more humor, less soap opera)
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I'm about half-way through the second season of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and still enjoying it. Yes, the best part of the show is the comedy parts, but how much good comedy can a weekly show offer? It has to be limited and parsed out. And, of course, there is too much Joel, but he is kind of the normal schlub lode star in a show full of eccentric characters. I have read criticism that the show does not seem to be going anywhere, but I think they miss the point. This show is along the lines of the Glass family stories by Salinger or My Family and Other Animals -- entertaining characters orbiting about the central eccentric character. There is an overarching theme, but we don't need to be hit over the head with it, and can enjoy each episode for what it is.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Just finished up season three...

This is my favorite season yet. More comedy, less soap opera, and some really well done musical production numbers... :ok
ImageImageImage

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Love Midge, she’s a fabulous comic. Season 2 was wonderful, so I’m looking forward to 3.

I hear there is more Lenny, too, which is a good thing.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I think the show has gotten better every year...

Rachel Brosnahan is fantastic and richly deserves all the awards she has received for her performance, and she's backed up by one of the strongest supporting casts that television has seen for a while...(Particularly Alex Borstein as Midge's manager, Susie Myerson and Tony Shaloub as Abe Maisel)
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Lord Jim wrote:I think the show has gotten better every year... Rachel Brosnahan is fantastic and richly deserves all the awards she has received for her performance...
That's what Rachel Brosnahan thought, too. However, she was interviewed by Terry Gross on "Fresh Air" just a few days ago and mentioned that Amazon abruptly cancelled the show.

So... enjoy it while it lasts.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Here is some of what Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke had to say in a statement on the subject:

“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has been a worldwide phenomenon, and Season 3 has been no exception, with the series’ most watched opening weekend ever … We’re so happy that our Prime Video customers will get to see Midge’s story continue in Season 4. Amy and Dan have created such funny, charming, relatable characters, all with their inimitable wit and eye for detail.”
https://cartermatt.com/388376/the-marve ... g-weekend/

Another story said that "it felt like the show was being cancelled" due to a plot development in season 3.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Beat me to it Long Run...

Amazon announced that Mrs. M was being renewed for season 4 just yesterday...

Maybe Rachel was pranking Terry...

(Wouldn't be the first time Ms. Gross has been on the receiving end of that...)
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

MMM Update:

O F F I C I A L_S T A T U S
As of December 13, 2019, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has not been cancelled or renewed for a fourth season. Stay tuned for further updates.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the- ... newed-yet/
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Probably because super evil multibillionaire Jeff Bezos wants to pay the cast and crew less than they want and so he’s scaring them into submission.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Fake news: renewed for a fourth season:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the- ... me-series/
Amazon Studios announced today that it has ordered a fourth season of the Emmy and Golden Globe-Award winning comedy The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. The third season premiered Friday, Dec. 6 on Amazon Prime Video in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel received two Golden Globe nominations this week, for Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy, and for star Rachel Brosnahan for Best Performance by an Actress in a Series, Musical or Comedy.

“We were thrilled to hear that for the fourth time, we do not have to pack up and vacate the premises,” said Creator and Executive Producer Amy Sherman-Palladino and Executive Producer Daniel Palladino. “We’d like to thank Amazon for all their faith and support, their partnership and enthusiasm, and for letting us hang with our favorite people, the cast and crew of Maisel, for a little while longer.”
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Does Amazon have an exclusive on Mrs. Maisel? That would be unusual. So, if Amazon were to foolishly drop the show just as it hits its peak then another studio would almost certainly pick it up. I'm not sure why there would be any question of at least a few more seasons as long as the key characters want to keep it going.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I just started watching this a couple of weeks ago. I am halfway through season 3 and found there will be a season 4 in DECEMBER of 2020. Drat. They really need to make traditional 24 episode seasons. It's really a great show.