Today's Movie Actors

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Re: Today's Movie Actors

Post by Gob »

How could I forget Ray Winstone?!?!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Gob wrote:How could I forget Ray Winstone?!?!
After reading his IMDB profile, the answer to that question would seem to be "quite easily"...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935653/

Aside from playing a second tier character in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Mr. Flintstone Winstone seems to have spent his entire career toiling away in the obscurity of BBC mini-series' and made-for -TV movies... 8-)
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

American critic Roger Ebert described Winstone as; "one of the best actors now at work in movies"

It's not the size of the movie or role Jim, it's the quality of the actor.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

RayThom

Today's Movie Actors

Post by RayThom »

Gob wrote:American critic Roger Ebert described Winstone as; "one of the best actors now at work in movies"
It's not the size of the movie or role Jim, it's the quality of the actor.
Ray Winstone: this may be a clue to his lack of work. James Woods is in the same sinking boat.

Ray Winstone comes to the defence of Mel Gibson over anti-Semitic claims
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebr ... laims.html
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Lack of work? A quick perusal of Winstone’s Wiki page shows he’s been working steadily from 1977 onward, in films, TV and on stage. He’s a quintessential character actor, like many in the business who have long and rewarding careers but who don’t ever become lead actors or movie stars. Frankly, they’re some of the better actors in the biz - I’d rather watch Ray Winstone over Tom Cruise any day of the week.

One of his best films, and a truly terrific - if disturbing - film overall, is The War Zone. A must see if you appreciate Winstone’s talent - and it also ‘stars’ another fantastic character actor, Tilda Swinton. 4/4 rating from Roger Ebert, which says something about the quality - and it was the directorial debut for Tim Roth, another terrific character actor of our times.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BSG--the War Zone is an excellent movie and well worth watching, although as you say it is disturbing and likely not everyone's cup of tea. But it is a movie with real charcters, not cartoon ones, dealing with some very serious subjects; I especially appreciated the ambiguity of the end. I have it as part of my collection.

RayThom

Today's Movie Actors

Post by RayThom »

Ray Winstone: this may be a clue to his lack of work. James Woods is in the same sinking boat.
OK... I'll edit this to say Winstone's anti-Semitic background is probably the reason for his lack of prominence and/or popularity.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You’d first have to provide some evidence to establish your assertion that he lacks prominence or popularity in his career, as that appears to be an utterly baseless assertion. He’s worked steadily for 40 years and has been critically acclaimed for his work many times over. (You’d probably then also want to provide some evidence of his anti-semitism beyond an awkward defense of Mel Gibson - that hardly rises to the level of repugnance that James Woods achieves with his disgusting social media rants.)

You do realize that from the beginning of the moving pictures there have always been character actors who work steadily and skillfully and to critical acclaim, but who don’t become ‘stars’ or big money earners? You do realize this is the experience of the majority of actors, and many of the most talented?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

RayThom wrote:
OK... I'll edit this to say Winstone's anti-Semitic background is probably the reason for his lack of prominence and/or popularity.
OK... I'll edit this to say Winstone appears to be anti-Semitic, and that's a near kiss-of-death in Hollywood.