Hell or High Water

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Hell or High Water

Post by BoSoxGal »

This is a very, very good movie with another terrific performance by Jeff Bridges - and excellent acting all around, of a terrific story. A must see, near perfect film, IMHO.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Re: Hell or High Water

Post by Sue U »

Saw that in the theater when it came out. Terrific modern Western. (As the spousal unit said, "You can tell it's a Western because there's a horse in it." :lol:)
GAH!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

That really does look good...

Definitely going to check it out; thanks for posting about it BSG...(I remember the promos when it came out, but forgot about it)

ETA:

It's available to rent on several streaming services, but it's also available currently at no additional charge for anyone who has Showtime.
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’d actually subscribed to Showtime for a month so I could finally watch Homeland - even though I don’t love Claire Danes, wow it was good! - and Billions and Ray Donovan and the most recent season of The Affair, and I stumbled on this movie just as I was churning through the last few days of my subscription.

I was really blown away by how excellent it was; I recall hearing about it only at one of the awards shows, probably the Academy Awards for which Bridges’s performance was nominated for best supporting actor. I made a mental note and then forgot all about it until I saw it in the Showtime movies offerings.

I already want to watch it again but will have to wait until it’s free on one of the services.

It’s really, really, REALLY good!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Two other good Showtime series were The United States of Tara and Web Therapy. They may be available on other services.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I loved Tara, watched it a few years ago. Toni Colette is one of the best actors around, IMHO - I’d watch her in anything. I think Tara is on Netflix or Hulu now.

Didn’t see the other series; will check it out next time - I’ll subscribe again when the new seasons of RD, Billions and Homeland release.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

We watched it last night on Showtime...

Superb! :clap:

Especially (as BSG notes) Jeff Bridges, who had his character down to a tee, (the only other actors I can imagine playing the role would be Sam Elliot or maybe Tommy Lee Jones) and gave the movie a lighter touch with some truly hilarious lines...

A really well crafted blend of drama, action, and humor.... :ok
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Glad you enjoyed it! :ok :D
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I enjoyed it too, thanks for the recommendation. The acting, dialogue, mood, music, filming were all very good. Though, I will say that the plot requires more than a bit of eliding over the gaps and caricatures.