Blackthorn

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Blackthorn

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’ve spent most of the past couple decades with my head buried in the sand when it comes to movies and TV, which makes it all the more pleasant to now have streaming services with massive databases of both on offer. In addition to finally seeing stuff I’d heard about from TV-owning/watching friends, I keep stumbling on movies I’d never even heard of when they released - some of which are real gems.

In a rare instance where I think Roger Ebert got it wrong, this 2011 ‘sequel’ to Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid rates 76% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, lauded by most critics for an engaging story, fantastic cinematography of truly stunning Bolivian settings, and a remarkably powerful performance by the late great Sam Shepard. If you really like a western and haven’t seen it, it is well worth a couple hours of your time, IMHO.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Re: Blackthorn

Post by Big RR »

BSG--I recall this movie and enjoyed it.

If you like the plot of an aging (anti) hero, I would suggest Taking a look at Robin and Marian, a story about an aging Robin Hood returning to England after going to the Crusades with King Richard. I think it's one of Sean Connery's best roles, and it includes Audrey Hepburn, Richard Harris, and Robert Shaw to boot.