I always thought I hated, hated, HATED "Little Drummer Boy"

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I also (not having had a TV in my home for many years) never watched "West Wing," except for the clips I've seen on YouTube.

So I was amazed to find this rendition of that song actually reduced me to tears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqLIH2U ... ture=share *

* (When I tried to embed the video here using the board's "YouTube" tool I got a message saying "Video unavailable. Watch this video on YouTube. Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.) :shrug
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Re: I always thought I hated, hated, HATED "Little Drummer B

Post by Burning Petard »

In my faith tradition, today is celebrated as the second Sunday of Advent--Prepare for Peace.

If only. . . .

Thank you Econoline.

snailgate.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I was never a West Wing fan, but that was really quite lovely...

Thanks for posting it Econo...

Some interesting background info on the scene in the second comment underneath the video :
In the DVD commentary the producers talked of how they weren't sure how to go about asking the Military if they could film at Arlington Cemetery. They weren't sure how their story of a homeless vet at Christmas would sit with them.

They sent in a script on spec and a few days later the cemetery administrators called back saying they were overwhelmed by the scene, they thought the entire episode was absolutely in the spirit of what they were trying to achieve at Arlington. They provided a genuine USMC honor guard, Navy chaplain and advised on the correct procedures to ensure accuracy.

It remains the finest scene in a brilliant series and never fails to make me choke. You don't hear them but when the flag is handed over to his brother the Marine can be seen saying "With thanks from a grateful nation".
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

That was good. Thanks for sharing.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

I'm not a big fan of LDB but the King Singers have always done a nice turn with this piece of music.

PS. Don't listen to this until Alan Sorkin's version stops resonating in you head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wW_wi013ik
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”