If You Liked Plan 9 From Outer Space...

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

You just might like Oceans Rising.

It's free if you have Netflix or TubiTv* (*which I'd never heard of until today), otherwise you would need to rent it from Amazon or somewhere else. Caution: Nobody should ever pay to see this movie UNLESS you are someone who enjoys watching movies that are so bad that they cause you to laugh - which might make you appear to be insane to other people nearby but don't worry about that. I laughed so hard that I'd need to see it again in order to hear all the great dialogue I missed.

Oceans Rising is the story of some guy named Josh who is probably the only guy who could save the world from its sudden reversed magnetic field that is rapidly causing the sea level to rise. That is to say he could save the world with the help of his wife Pam, who he left years earlier because their relationship deteriorated after he attempted to convince the US president the the world was going to end.

The special effects are special and the acting is attempted. Josh built a boat just in case the world might end and lucky for him, he was right. Pam shows up at just the right time to join him on his boat and others join them on-board because they were displaced by the ocean rising. One of my favorite characters is the older guy who is hard of hearing and says, "What" a lot, but (spoiler) he speaks French and tells someone who speaks German that he is hard of hearing which somehow helps Josh and the crew get into some kind of military base (I think). Then there's the guy who decides at one point that he is the food protector and he has a gun. At that point action ensues with potentially serious consequences. I don't want to give away too much but I will tell you that the film ends when it seems like they didn't know where else to go with it. A particularly poignant scene near the end happens when the bald guy with an accent stands on a chair to address the 7 or 8 people standing next to him in a fairly small room.

I give it a minus 5 stars and recommend it highly. In fact, highly is the best way to view it. Most viewers will be very upset that I even mentioned this movie and may not make it past the first 20 minutes when a lot of nothing is happening. It's either a must or a must not watch, depending on your sense of humor and how much time you have to waste. Good luck. I doubt very much that anyone will watch it but I thought it was worth mentioning....

-Joe Guy Bob Briggs

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

WTF... couldn't you have at least warned "spoiler alert" before you spoiled this for me?

Thanks loads!
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Re: If You Liked Plan 9 From Outer Space...

Post by Lord Jim »

Wow, a 2.4 IMDB rating...

I don't believe I've ever seen that before...

That would be good enough (bad enough?) to earn it the #20 spot on IMDB's 250 worst rated movies of all time: though for some reason it's not on the list:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?group ... rating,asc
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Re: If You Liked Plan 9 From Outer Space...

Post by Crackpot »

I’ve seen 4 in the bottom 30 one of those only because of MST3K

21 in total
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.