Twilight Zone

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Scooter

Twilight Zone

Post by Scooter »

Is on CBS All Access in the U.S. (in Canada I am watching on CityTV). Didn't see the first two episodes, because I missed the window for watching them on video on demand, but so far have watched episodes 3 and 4.

It's quite good. Obviously I had doubts about a remake of such a classic, but so far it is living up to the spirit and the quality of the original. It looks like they are fashioning episodes around topical issues of the day - in the episodes I watched, the shootings of young black men by police and the use of lies to foment distrust of our institutions and our fellow citizens (and thereby open up the country to invasion) - in ways that are imaginative and thought provoking.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Re: Twilight Zone

Post by Big RR »

Scooter--my main cincern about this is the tendency these directors seem to have toward throwing comedy into the scene to break the tension. I saw this in Get Out and I felt it detracted from an indea which, IMHO, could have been a much better film (of course others may disagree--the film was quite popular). Do you see that here?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Certainly not in the episodes I watched, although as I said that is only two thus far.

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Twilight Zone

Post by RayThom »

Big RR wrote:Scooter--my main cincern about this is the tendency these directors seem to have toward throwing comedy into the scene to break the tension. I saw this in Get Out and I felt it detracted from an indea which, IMHO, could have been a much better film (of course others may disagree--the film was quite popular). Do you see that here?
Isn't all of life a mix of comedy and tragedy? I'm never upset about a little comic relief regardless how dramatic the production is in total.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter--Thanks.

Ray--Life is clearly such a mix, but when I am watching something which is not life but a portrayal of a particular event (real or imagined), I prefer them separate. Just like I love scotch and I like club soda, but I prefer them both straight and not mixed together. It's a matter of taste, and I think a lot of people prefer comedy and tragedy to be mixed.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Now watching an episode about an 11 year old who is elected POTUS, who has campaigned and is governing just as one would imagine an 11 year old might.

Sound familiar?

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Sound familiar?
Sounds like an improvement...
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Most kids by that age have some sense of compassion and while they be subject to “magical thinking” they at least are idealistic in nature.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just started watching last night. Episode 3 was especially powerful.

Lots of reviews on Amazon comparing it unfavorably to the original series, pointing to Peele’s inclusion of PC values. These people are apparently clueless about how most episodes in the original series were thinly veiled criticism of regressive social and political norms of the time.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:Scooter--my main cincern about this is the tendency these directors seem to have toward throwing comedy into the scene to break the tension. I saw this in Get Out and I felt it detracted from an indea which, IMHO, could have been a much better film (of course others may disagree--the film was quite popular). Do you see that here?
I’m on episode 4, and no laughs whatsoever thus far. It’s pretty unsettling; I’m impressed.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Looks like it will definitely be worth a look.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

BoSoxGal wrote:Episode 3 was especially powerful.
Ditto episode 7. Holy fuck!

-- Author unknown