Woodstock 50 is no more

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
MajGenl.Meade

Woodstock 50 is no more

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The three-day event commemorating the 50th anniversary of the era-defining music festival has been canceled after a string of financial headaches and legal hitches, organizers said in a statement Wednesday. . . The event was envisioned as a cross-generational gathering that would unite millennials and nostalgic Baby Boomers.
Sad really. I was planning a trip to the US just to catch the headliners:
The announcement comes after reports that A-list headliners — including pop star Miley Cyrus and hip-hop mogul Jay-Z — had dropped out of the event, originally slated for Aug. 16 through 18.
Not to mention John "Old" Fogerty. Who could have turned down that opportunity? Woooot!
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Re: Woodstock 5 is no more

Post by Long Run »

Maybe the best thing to emerge from the mud:

Big RR

Re: Woodstock 5 is no more

Post by Big RR »

I remember a conference around the 25th anniversary where the attendees were herded into field surrounded by a white fence in the heat. Water was sold (you couldn't bring anything in) for an exorbonant price, and people eventually set bonfires and bruned the fence.

Here's a link: https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/201 ... t-its-way/

You really can't recreate something that just happened using a for profit model. I recall a concert on the Isle off Whyte (spelling?) a little after Woodstock that the people tried to turn into a free concert (and the promoters resisted) and everything fell apart. Add to this the lineup (hip hop? ) and I wouldn't have gone near it.

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Woodstock 50 is no more

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Isle of Wight is still going - after a hiatus from 1971 to 2002! Larger than Woodstock was the 1970 one (600 -700,000) and that riled the locals/council so much that overnight events were banned until all the moaners died off. Richie Havens closed the final concert early in the morning, following Leonard Cohen (god of music) of whom this was said:
I think it was about four o'clock in the morning they went in and woke him up in his trailer and he took a long time to get out to the stage. Everybody had been sittin' there in the filth, in their own squalor - half a million people there - for five days. And Leonard finally came out of his trailer and he was wearing his pyjamas...I never have known why they didn't just hoot him off the stage like they did with a lot of people, especially me! I can only think that he was such an honest performer and didn't scramble after anybody's attention. He took his time gettin' out there, he took his time tunin' up and he wasn't intimidated by a half million people who'd been very ugly.
K. Kristofferson
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

Woodstock 5 is no more

Post by RayThom »

Like the Grammys, Rap music has ruined that old time, viscerally rewarding feeling we had for real, live rock n' roll, pop music, and soul performances. You know, "peace and love."

Had this newer iteration of Woodstock made the cut, I'm certain gunfire would have ruined it at some point.

Woodstock, now and forever... RIP.

DIXI
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I still don't understand why rap wasn't put into the "spoken word" category.  I guess the synthesized drum and bass lines are what get it classed as 'music'.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Damn you Kids get off my lawn!
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Actually, I far prefer rap to the latter pop/hip hop that supposedly came from it. For the most part rap was socially conscious and had lyrics that meant something--hip hop, not so much.

If you want something more akin to rock (or maybe 70s new wave), I would suggest hearing some of the alt rock which is starting to be played on some station.