Kon-Tiki

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Kon-Tiki

Post by BoSoxGal »

If you haven’t yet seen this academy award/golden globe nominated film, you MUST! It’s just brilliant!

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Re: Kon-Tiki

Post by Burning Petard »

Will I be forced to turn in my badge as a member of the liberal elite if I pay money to see this? The beginning of the trailer says it is produced by a Weinstein company.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Do you listen to Wagner? His works are some of the most fantastic in the classical music canon.

The Weinstein Company made many brilliant films - I’m not going to boycott them all.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Kon-Tiki

Post by RayThom »

After over a hundred days on his grueling sea journey, Heyerdahl wobbled off the raft and said to his Polynesian greeters, "I'm Thor... do you have thum noni you can thell me?

Sorry.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sorry, I won't be watching this since I've already seen the original ... filmed on location and with the original cast.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Wagner is dead and nothing I do will change him. Garrison Keillor or Al Franken are not dead. Is it ok for me to suggest Mr. Franken should run for office, or Mr. Keillor has some interesting books for sale?

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I watched the documentary right after the feature film - it’s also brilliant, but many of the best moments from the voyage aren’t depicted (a few are dramatized for the film, but overall it’s a true depiction). The feature film is absolutely beautiful - a gorgeous viewing experience for any thalassophile and worth adding to one’s experience of Kon-Tiki.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:Wagner is dead and nothing I do will change him. Garrison Keillor or Al Franken are not dead. Is it ok for me to suggest Mr. Franken should run for office, or Mr. Keillor has some interesting books for sale?

snailgate.
So just Franken, Keillor and Weinstein? Because if you’re going to avoid all art created by artists with moral failings in their personal lives, I think you’re gonna need a much, much bigger list.
~ Carl Sagan