My hobby

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Sue U

Re: My hobby

Post by Sue U »

Beautiful pix, Gob. (Whatever it takes to keep you away from the four-track.)
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

OoooOoOHH! Bitch! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Two from this morning...

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

:ok :ok

Gob

Post by Gob »

Our friend Econoline may recognise this view.

https://www.stmichaelsmount.co.uk

Gob

Post by Gob »

Stroll around the back yard today. Classically beautiful winter's day, cold, dry, and sunny. It's easy to forget what's just outside your backdoor isn't it?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Outside our back door, right now, live and in colour:

Rather have your view, Taff!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

My hobby

Post by RayThom »

Gob, it's hard to imagine the Wolf Rock lighthouse was occupied until 1988. It must have been quite a ride during heavy storms, which I suspect are the norm and not the exception.

Also, dead center -- is that rectangular rock formation natural, or was it some kind of anchoring spot at one time?

Your neighborhood looks nice and scenic, but I wouldn't want to live there for any extended period of time.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Outside our back door, right now, live and in colour... Rather have your view, Taff!
Meade, is that a wildfire, or a controlled burn?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Post by Gob »

RayThom wrote: Gob, it's hard to imagine the Wolf Rock lighthouse was occupied until 1988. It must have been quite a ride during heavy storms, which I suspect are the norm and not the exception.
That's Longships, not Wolf Rock. My mate Eddie was one of the last to work on it. 3 months on, three months off.
Also, dead center -- is that rectangular rock formation natural, or was it some kind of anchoring spot at one time?
It's a natural outcrop, known locally as "the armed knight"
Your neighborhood looks nice and scenic, but I wouldn't want to live there for any extended period of time.
I would.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

RayThom wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:Outside our back door, right now, live and in colour... Rather have your view, Taff!
Meade, is that a wildfire, or a controlled burn?
The wildfire was north of the hill in the background, came sweeping over the top and threatened Boyden Observatory (which was saved). Down by our house (good eye), the F451 boys earned their fireman name by setting the burn to make a fire break and stop the back-burn from the wildfire. Even against the wind, it can progress backwards and there were many buildings in the path. Hence they burned the break.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Frosty walk with the chaps, to read the calligraphy in the sky.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

RayThom wrote:Your neighborhood looks nice and scenic, but I wouldn't want to live there for any extended period of time.
What makes you feel that way, I wonder?

Cornwall is so gorgeous - and has fairly temperate weather, too. Are you just not a country mouse?

As for myself, I’d be willing to cook and clean and even tolerate weekly sex with a stinky toothless barely literate Cornish sheep farmer for the opportunity to live there. Gob, got any single friends? :shrug :mrgreen:

(JK!!!)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

As Gob says, that's not Wolf Rock. That's several miles out to sea between the Scilly Islands and Land's End. Certainly in the seventies it (Wolf Rock Light) was still manned and supplied from the Scillies: once a month or however long their tours were, a longboat would leave St Mary's with, IIRC, one replacement - there were always two on the rock and I suppose they staggered the relievers - and food and mail. I went out on that boat I think twice and watched the whole operation landing the keeper and mail etc by breeches buoy which is more or less a temporary zip line. Dangerous especially if the sea is on the lumpy side.

RayThom

My hobby

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:
RayThom wrote:Your neighborhood looks nice and scenic, but I wouldn't want to live there for any extended period of time.
What makes you feel that way, I wonder?

Cornwall is so gorgeous - and has fairly temperate weather, too. Are you just not a country mouse?...
Too quaint, too touristy, too steep.

I moved to my new home because it's a one story walk-in, no steps, no stairs. If I lived in Cornwall I'd need a car or an electric cart to navigate all the hills. I live in Chester County PA, one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the nation -- which is more country than suburban. I like the open, green, space and I'm surrounded by horse farms and mansions, all without feeling isolated. There is ample shopping and entertainment which is easily accessed. And when I want a little bit more I am only forty minutes away from center city Philly, one of the nicer walk-around cities any time of year.

Other than my daughter, brother, and sister -- and their families -- all my other relatives live in Sheffield and Manchester. If I need a taste of Britain I don't need much more than that. Maybe a side trip to London's West End when I visit. That's all.

I'm a simple man who needs very little to feel fulfilled.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Some crackers from last night

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Very nice.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I think "My hobby" and "some crackers from last night" are actionable under the Trades Descriptions Act.

Gob

Post by Gob »

“Awake! for Morning in the Bowl of Night
Has flung the Stone that puts the Stars to Flight."
Omar Khayyám

A rather spectacular sunrise down here on the Manor!

Ps. I think that was a compliment Meade, thanks!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Forgot these! Yesterday, morning and evening.