My hobby

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
RayThom

My Hobby

Post by RayThom »

Gob, I especially like the Ding-Dong Mine photo.

What I see is much like a miniature fake/forced perspective image. And that perception gets helped along by the shadows and light produced by using the B&W filter.

It's as though I'm anticipating a giant foot ready to step into the frame and crush the engine house.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Re: My hobby

Post by Gob »

I used a photoshop technique on it Ray. It blurs the background and sharpens the foreground.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:13 am
I used a photoshop technique on it Ray. It blurs the background and sharpens the foreground.
Back in the day of negatives and transparencies shot on 35-mm film, I used to have to do that by setting the aperture (f/stop) and exposure duration to control the depth of field.  Amazing how a little software is able to replace abilities learned the hard way over years of experience, trial, and error.

To be clear, this is not meant as a personal potshot at you or your pictures, Gob.  You've definitely got a photographer's eye, and I'm sure you would be able to get just as good a batch of images with a roll of Kodachrome® (RIP, old friend!) and an old Nikon F2.  Just lamenting the fact that even pictures nowadays are so subject to quick and easy digital manipulation that the old saying about how "photos don't lie" has become just another meaningless, quaint phrase from the distant past.  And I'm not talking about egregious offenses such as digitally adding an image that wasn't there originally or repositioning existing images so that they appear closer together or farther apart — I'm talking about even minor tweaks and 'improvements'.  There's a power line in the background, or a jet contrail overhead?  Go ahead, delete it; nobody will ever know the difference!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

I agree in the main with you Bill. I have no problems with digital manipulation of images to enhance them, but I hold to a rule about not adding in, or removing, anything that wasn't in the original image though.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:01 am
I agree in the main with you Bill. I have no problems with digital manipulation of images to enhance them, but I hold to a rule about not adding in, or removing, anything that wasn't in the original image though.
Oh yeah, we had techniques to enhance a marginal image through spotting, masking, cropping, or burning, but those were dark-room techniques used when printing from a negative or transparency and again required a practical skill-set acquired through years of experience and trial-and-error.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Just some snaps from my usual walks, taken last night and this morning. Very blustery on both days.

Wreck of the RMS Mulhiem, bottom left.

"The Irish Lady is a rock that lies just south of Cowloe Rock that acts as a memorial to an Irishwoman that was a victim of a shipwreck. She scrambled onto the rock, but tragically the rescue boats were unable to reach her in time, and the ill-fated lady slipped into the sea. Her ghost is still seen clinging to the rock."

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

The ponies!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Neighbors!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Groan :cry:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Gob

Post by Gob »

Gob

Post by Gob »

This morning's dog walk was around Cape Cornwall

St Helen’s Oratory

The Brisons are said to look like "Charles De Galle in the bath."

RayThom

My hobby

Post by RayThom »

Gob, is that a stele to the left of the chapel ruins? If so, what is inscribed on it?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Post by Gob »

It's a gravestone.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Of anyone important? Does it need to be torn down due to insensitivity?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

My hobby

Post by RayThom »

Gob wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:44 pm
It's a gravestone.
Sorry. I thought ancient markers like these were referred to as stele (pl. stelae)

Anyway, what is inscribed/carved into it?

Gob

Post by Gob »

"Here lies a dead person" or something similar. Here you go...
The granite headstone just beyond the chapel marks the grave of Donald Arthur Payne, farmer of Nanpean Farm and creator of Cape Cornwall Golf Course. Hundreds joined the funeral procession from St. Just Parish Church in 1995.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Crackpot wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:47 pm
Of anyone important? Does it need to be torn down due to insensitivity?

Best take a sledgehammer to it, just to be on the safe side.

Gob

Post by Gob »

The Whooper of Sennen Cove.

Sometimes, on a beautiful day when the skies were a lovely clear blue, a strange, thick mist would gather over the cove. From this mist came a strange whooping sound.

It was said that the Whooper could predict storms and had a marvellous ability to prevent fisherman venturing out whenever a storm was impending.

However, on one occasion two intrepid fishermen managed to make their way out to sea by beating their way through the mist. Neither they nor the Whooper were ever seen again.