Martin Clunes

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Martin Clunes

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m on a Martin Clunes kick after catching up through season 9 of Doc Martin.

Amazon Prime now has available the two Doc Martin movies that preceded the series; he’s called Dr. Bamford instead of Ellingham as per the Saving Grace character that inspired the series, and he’s a bit nicer - both movies are great fun.

Then I found and watched season one of a new comedy series he’s just done called Warren that is pretty darn funny, and I just watched a miniseries based on a true crime investigation in the UK called Manhunt starting Clunes as the lead DCI.

There are several other series, movies and miniseries available on Prime with Clunes and thus far I haven’t seen anything he’s bad in. He’s just a darn good actor who is equally capable of making you laugh or gasp or cry. I recommend trying him on for size if you haven’t yet.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Re: Martin Clunes

Post by Gob »

I love Martin Clunes. I sold myself to Hen by telling her I'm a spitting image of him. (I was, back then.)

Check out, "Arthur and George" if you are a Clunes fan.

"Saving Grace" is a great movie.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Unfortunately though, "Manhunt" is largely a non-event. Clunes is fine but the story is as dull as ditchwater.Yes, it shows the relentless plod of police work, as opposed to the stupid "CSI Poughkeepsie" rubbish. Yes, it reflected "reality" more than the "Law and Order" type of fantasy. But for me, I didn't think Clunes character did very much other than angst all over the place and get in the way.

So well done Doc Martin - you played it right.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I watched Manhunt a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it; including Clunes character...

(But then you're the guy who thinks The Honeymooners aren't funny and The Good The Bad and The Ugly is a crap movie, so it's not like I'm going to be looking to you for viewing advice... :P )
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:I love Martin Clunes. I sold myself to Hen by telling her I'm a spitting image of him. (I was, back then.)

Check out, "Arthur and George" if you are a Clunes fan.

"Saving Grace" is a great movie.
Arthur & George was great, I've watched it a few times.

Have you seen Warren, his newest comedy series? It’s really hilarious - a very different character than Doc Martin. So funny!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Nope, not watched that, must see if it's on catchup.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Wife and I started "Warren" based on (ahem) a certain recommendation here. Turned it off after ten minutes; quite enough vile language and not a single person one would wish to have as a neighbor, let alone a friend. Don't want to share a nice evening with those people, thank you very much
:nana
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gob, that’s all the recommendation you should need! :ok
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

First thing I remember Martin Clunes being in was BBC 1990s series "Men Behaving Badly" - it pretty much did what it said on the box.

I doubt whether today's Beeb would do something like that again. A little un-PC.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Warren was a BBC-One production; they declined to make a second season so I guess they were put off by the nature of the show. Warren the character is kind of like Archie Bunker, but in the end he’s lovable. They’re all lovable and awful too - like a lot of folks in real life. I laughed out loud repeatedly and I’ll take that however I can get it in these bleak times.
~ Carl Sagan