Cats

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
TPFKA@W

Cats

Post by TPFKA@W »

Don't do it.

Plan 9 From Outer Space is better.

Burning Petard

Re: Cats

Post by Burning Petard »

I have never seen a broadway musical. I have great respect for the art form but my budget can't stand the price of admission. Cats was a broadway phenom for a long time. When I saw the tv ads for the film version and that it included Judy Dench in the cast, I resolved to see Cats on the big screen.

Since the release I have heard several professional reviews that agree fully with the above. I think I and my POSSLQ shall use our movie budget allotment to see the star wars thing.

Later addendum: I enjoyed Plan Nine From Outer Space.

snailgate
Last edited by Burning Petard on Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Critics reviews are terrible, but it’s got over 60% fresh audience rating on rotten tomatoes. :shrug

I’m going because I’ve got Regal Unlimited now and can see as many movies as I want for $23/mo. So basically since I’ve already seen two terrific movies this month (Joker and Star Wars), it’s a free ticket - and I like the music and won’t mind hearing it in DSS.

I’ve heard such intriguing things about the creepiness factor of the CGI cat bodies, I can’t wait to see for myself.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Not something I'd particularly want to see, but quoting the film critic Judith Crist (in her review of Behind the Green Door), "May the Bluenoses leave it alone for those whose taste it is" (and as I recall, it wasn't a film she particularly cared for herself). That's why we have multiple screens in modern movie theaters.

Personally, one thing I will say in its favor is that it does seem like Tom Hooper (the director) learned a lesson from his Les Miserables film and cast at least some people who were known as singers; I don't know if he still insists in using the live soundtrack or if the numbers were recorded in a studio and dubbed, but I'd hope the latter (sure, Les miserable showed the Ann Hathaway could at least carry a tune, but Sasha Baron Cohen?).

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The Hollywood Reporter named Cats one of the ten worst films of 2019 while Adam Graham of The Detroit News said, "Cats is the biggest disaster of the decade, and possibly thus far in the millennium. It's Battlefield Earth with whiskers"

Wiki she say - "Star Wars"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I attended the original Broadway production and although it was an exciting experience because Broadway and all, and I did indeed enjoy the music, I wasn't super keen on Cats in general even then. This production managed to be boring enough that the music could not fix it. One of my male friends in attendance managed to fall asleep.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I had a friend who almost fell asleep, but then had one of the actors/cats climb across the chairs and jump in his lap; he said it scared the hell out of him.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

My wife wants to see it, though the reviews have her hesitating. I have no interest in seeing it. (I have no interest in movies in general, and still associate theatres with getting sick.)

RayThom

Cats

Post by RayThom »

Jarlaxle wrote:My wife wants to see it, though the reviews have her hesitating. I have no interest in seeing it. (I have no interest in movies in general, and still associate theatres with getting sick.)
Suck it up, and stop stewing. Go see it with the wife if only to assure her she still has a little say in your marriage. She'll let you know how she feels about it while you're viewing it, and then just go with her feelings.

It will make both of you feel better about yourselves.

Make a game of it -- look for human hands rather than cat paws.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I wouldn't go see 'Cats' because it sounds too gay for my money. But I would go see "Ford vs Ferrari" which I just did and it was very entertaining.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"Suck it up, and stop stewing. Go see it with the wife if only to assure her she still has a little say in your marriage. She'll let you know how she feels about it while you're viewing it, and then just go with her feelings. "

WOW ! Who wudda guessed? Ray as a profound marriage counselor! Before I read this I had such a discussion with my spouse and for similar reasons I am gonna go with her to see 'Little Women' even though at 10 years old I could not stand the book.

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Joe Guy wrote:I wouldn't go see 'Cats' because it sounds too gay for my money. But I would go see "Ford vs Ferrari" which I just did and it was very entertaining.

:ok Surprisingly so, Joe. My dear wife enjoyed FvF too - whodda gest?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Burning Petard wrote:"Suck it up, and stop stewing. Go see it with the wife if only to assure her she still has a little say in your marriage. She'll let you know how she feels about it while you're viewing it, and then just go with her feelings. "

WOW ! Who wudda guessed? Ray as a profound marriage counselor! Before I read this I had such a discussion with my spouse and for similar reasons I am gonna go with her to see 'Little Women' even though at 10 years old I could not stand the book.

snailgate
Naah, Ray is just a shitlord, who chugs prune juice, drops trou, and spins in a circle, blasting explosive diarrhea in all directions.

I went directly from the theatre to the ER twice...and still can't help but recall puking my insides out every time I go to a movie theatre.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

So there is such a thing as a vomit inducing movie? Thought that was just film-critic hyperbole. ;)

RayThom

Cats

Post by RayThom »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Burning Petard wrote:"Suck it up, and stop stewing. Go see it with the wife if only to assure her she still has a little say in your marriage. She'll let you know how she feels about it while you're viewing it, and then just go with her feelings. "

snailgate
Naah, Ray is just a shitlord, who chugs prune juice, drops trou, and spins in a circle, blasting explosive diarrhea in all directions.

I went directly from the theatre to the ER twice...and still can't help but recall puking my insides out every time I go to a movie theatre.
Interesting.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

IMDB actually has a category of EXTREMELY VOMIT INDUCING FILMS (Movies that will make you loose your lunch!!!)

[Loose is their spelling BTW, not mine.]

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

RayThom wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

snailgate

Interesting.
The popcorn made me sick.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:IMDB actually has a category of EXTREMELY VOMIT INDUCING FILMS (Movies that will make you loose your lunch!!!)

[Loose is their spelling BTW, not mine.]
I checked the list, which contains 68 films like "Cannibal Holocaust", "Septic Man", "The Human Centipede", and Johnny Knoxville's "Jackass" series, and of those 68 films, 55 of them have a five star rating or above (on a 1 to 10 scale).  I guess even crappy movies have their fans.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

Cats... the movie

Post by RayThom »

The surveys taken of the theater audiences for "Cats" are overwhelmingly cat owning women over fifty.

It has been rated "1 Litter Box With No Pooper Scooper" by the ASPCA.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Long Run wrote:So there is such a thing as a vomit inducing movie? Thought that was just film-critic hyperbole. ;)
I am allergic to movie theatre popcorn.