Star Trek: Picard

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
TPFKA@W

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Post by TPFKA@W »

His essence put into an artificial life form played by a different and younger actor was what I gathered.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

You were thinking along the right lines, anyway. I hope it becomes meaningful to future storylines; otherwise, it smacks of a deus ex machina used to resolve what was an unnecessary melodrama.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

So is 7 of 9 to become a regular?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I hope so. I like this version of her.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Well I suppose I should have anticipated THAT in the first episode of the new season, but I hadn't thought about it at all.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And THAT was certainly a most unexpected revelation in the second episode of season 3.

-- Author unknown

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Depends on which revelation.

"I told you to disengage." (Quote may be fuzzy, it's been 24 hours)

That was the unexpected one for me.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

liberty

Post by liberty »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:14 pm
https://blog.dogsbite.org/2013/07/beyon ... uling.html

I encourage folks to read what’s at that link, in full, and then make an argument why the pit bull breed group should exist at all in an enlightened society - much less be multiplying at current rates and overrunning humane society shelters and rescue groups so that more and more and more families are bringing these potentials killers into their family homes.

Anybody who understands dog breeding understands that breeds are genetically hardwired to do the job they’ve been bred for decades and in many cases centuries to do.

For instance: I have recently adopted a border collie rescue after losing my beloved Little Bear to incurable illness last spring. This is my first border collie, she is a young dog (@ 1.25 years) who has never been formally trained yet (I’ve only had her 3 months and she’s been on strict exercise restriction following arsenic treatment for heartworm, so not yet ready for the challenges and excitement of obedience classes). Despite her total lack of training, she exhibits all the characteristics of border collies and as such is very different from the hound mix who was my first dog and the shepherd mixes who were my 2nd and 3rd dogs.

Bully breed dogs have been bred for thousands of dog generations to fight and kill. Period. The myth of the nursemaid dog is very much a myth, there is almost zero factual evidence supporting it. Yes they can be affectionate and loving like any dog, but unlike most dogs, when they snap and go beserk (as ANY dog can), they are far more capable of killing than just about any other breed. For that reason in my opinion their usefulness is far outweighed by their dangerousness. I wouldn’t live with one, I wouldn’t want to live in a neighborhood with one, and if I ever showed up at the dog park and one was there, we’d be headed in the opposite direction ASAP because I don’t want to watch my dog mauled to death by one. And plenty of the maulings and killings by bully breeds have been perpetrated by dogs who never experienced a moment’s abuse or poor training - that is the biggest myth of all. Very nice people, responsible dog owners have been killed by the dog their loving hands fed and petted.

I think these dogs are very ugly to boot - although to be honest I can’t be sure I would find them so unattractive if I didn’t know how many dogs, children and adults had been mauled and murdered by the breed. I hope someday they are eradicated from existence - there are too many other better breeds to choose from.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=the+bitbu ... ba8909e6bd

Some insurance companies will not cover pit bulls (along with rottweilers and wolf hybrids) because these particular breeds cause a disproportionate rate of bite incidents.[13] Dog bite severity varies by the breed of dog, and studies have found that pit bull-type dogs have both a high rate of reported bites and a high rate of severe injuries, compared to other breeds.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

liberty wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:28 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:14 pm
https://blog.dogsbite.org/2013/07/beyon ... uling.html

I encourage folks to read what’s at that link, in full, and then make an argument why the pit bull breed group should exist at all in an enlightened society - much less be multiplying at current rates and overrunning humane society shelters and rescue groups so that more and more and more families are bringing these potentials killers into their family homes.

Anybody who understands dog breeding understands that breeds are genetically hardwired to do the job they’ve been bred for decades and in many cases centuries to do.

For instance: I have recently adopted a border collie rescue after losing my beloved Little Bear to incurable illness last spring. This is my first border collie, she is a young dog (@ 1.25 years) who has never been formally trained yet (I’ve only had her 3 months and she’s been on strict exercise restriction following arsenic treatment for heartworm, so not yet ready for the challenges and excitement of obedience classes). Despite her total lack of training, she exhibits all the characteristics of border collies and as such is very different from the hound mix who was my first dog and the shepherd mixes who were my 2nd and 3rd dogs.

Bully breed dogs have been bred for thousands of dog generations to fight and kill. Period. The myth of the nursemaid dog is very much a myth, there is almost zero factual evidence supporting it. Yes they can be affectionate and loving like any dog, but unlike most dogs, when they snap and go beserk (as ANY dog can), they are far more capable of killing than just about any other breed. For that reason in my opinion their usefulness is far outweighed by their dangerousness. I wouldn’t live with one, I wouldn’t want to live in a neighborhood with one, and if I ever showed up at the dog park and one was there, we’d be headed in the opposite direction ASAP because I don’t want to watch my dog mauled to death by one. And plenty of the maulings and killings by bully breeds have been perpetrated by dogs who never experienced a moment’s abuse or poor training - that is the biggest myth of all. Very nice people, responsible dog owners have been killed by the dog their loving hands fed and petted.

I think these dogs are very ugly to boot - although to be honest I can’t be sure I would find them so unattractive if I didn’t know how many dogs, children and adults had been mauled and murdered by the breed. I hope someday they are eradicated from existence - there are too many other better breeds to choose from.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=the+bitbu ... ba8909e6bd

Some insurance companies will not cover pit bulls (along with rottweilers and wolf hybrids) because these particular breeds cause a disproportionate rate of bite incidents.[13] Dog bite severity varies by the breed of dog, and studies have found that pit bull-type dogs have both a high rate of reported bites and a high rate of severe injuries, compared to other breeds.
Interesting that you chose to quote and respond to this post today/yesterday; the headlines are full of a story from San Antonio yesterday in which an 80 year old man was mauled to death and two females also viciously attacked, one elderly female left in critical condition by a couple of bully breed dogs - ASTs. Responding EMS, including firefighters, had to use their pickaxes to fight the dogs off the bodies of the humans they were savaging so aid could be provided. A firefighter was also bitten in the melee.

Imagine making it to 80 years old and having your life extinguished in such a horrific manner, because you dared to take a stroll in your own neighborhood.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tonio.html

PS - I haven’t yet watched seasons 2 or 3 of Picard. Is the ugly pit bull still a character in the show?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Just a suggestion, BSG ... if you're going to use acronyms, remember that not everybody may know off the top of their head what they mean, so it would be appropriate to spell out in full what you're referring to — at least the first time the term comes up. Case in point, describing the dogs in the San Antonio attacks as ASTs.  Not knowing what that was supposed to stand for, I had to Google 'AST' (which didn't help, as if kept referring me to a medical term – aspartate aminotransferase), so I needed to do a second search for 'San Antonio dog attack' before I found an article where they described the animals as American Staffordshire Terriers rather than the generic term of 'pit bull'.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:19 pm
PS - I haven’t yet watched seasons 2 or 3 of Picard. Is the ugly pit bull still a character in the show?
I don't recall seeing it in season 2. Hasn't appeared in season 3.

-- Author unknown

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Episode 5.

Oh. Damn.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Shhhhhh! NO SPOILERS!!

Or actually, if y’all want to talk about it, I can stay out of the room. Just give a spoiler alert, thanks! 😘
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

The entire third and final season appears to be designed as a farewell address by TNG cast. I also think there may emerge, from those ashes, a new series.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Very interesting wrap up for the series.