Primitive European music

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
liberty

Primitive European music

Post by liberty »

Has anyone ever heard of primitive European music? I believe it is a branch of classical music, but I could be wrong about that. I am interested in one particular song; I believe is titled the march of the virgins or enter the virgins. It has been a long time that is all I can remember. I would appreciate it if someone had more information on this they could share.

And check of Nadia theme and then tell me it is not one of the most beautiful songs you have ever heard.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Re: Primitive European music

Post by BoSoxGal »

Do you mean the Nadia’s theme which is opening credits music for The Young and the Restless soap opera and was originally written and released as soundtrack music for that classic early 70s film Bless the Beasts and the Children?

Interestingly, Nadia Comaneci never performed to that tune - it was used by ABC as background for a montage of her 76 Olympics routines and has been associated with her ever since.

It’s a lovely tune, definitely.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know if it's related at all, but I recall singing a Bach cantata based on the wise/foolish virgins parable; I recall singing it in German, so I am unsure if there is a part that covered the arrival of the virgins. I'm sure it is avaalable if you google it.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:47 pm
Has anyone ever heard of primitive European music? I believe it is a branch of classical music, but I could be wrong about that. I am interested in one particular song; I believe is titled the march of the virgins or enter the virgins. It has been a long time that is all I can remember. I would appreciate it if someone had more information on this they could share.

And check of Nadia theme and then tell me it is not one of the most beautiful songs you have ever heard.
I don't know what you mean by "primitive European music." It is highly unlikely you have heard any song from the period before the Middle Ages because as far as I know there is no surviving "remembered" music from that time in Europe, and what music there was wasn't written down.

However, I am particularly fond of Hurrian Hymn #6, the oldest known complete work of music, dating from about 1400 BCE in Ugarit; it's a hymn to the goddess of orchards:

GAH!

liberty

Post by liberty »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:42 pm
liberty wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:47 pm

I don't know what you mean by "primitive European music." It is highly unlikely you have heard any song from the period before the Middle Ages because as far as I know there is no surviving "remembered" music from that time in Europe, and what music there was wasn't written down.

However, I am particularly fond of Hurrian Hymn #6, the oldest known complete work of music, dating from about 1400 BCE in Ugarit; it's a hymn to the goddess of orchards:

It is not really primitive music. It is an attempt by modern musicians to create music that would sound like ancient European tribal music. I think it sounds something like the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wy-W-pYldsd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9NIBZfVBW4
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Give it a try, listen to it. What do you have to lose other than a little time?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pr ... &FORM=VIRE

Let's go back to the beginning when life was worth living. All we need is our ax, the horse, and our grazing land on the steppes, and life would be beautiful again. Who is with me?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Nope. Who makes our ax? Who makes my spectacles so I can see well enuff to chop wood without hitting my leg? Do you know how to make a horse collar? I don't.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Or this one ... the first minute and a half pretty well covers it....

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Burning Petard wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:08 pm
Nope. Who makes our ax? Who makes my spectacles so I can see well enuff to chop wood without hitting my leg? Do you know how to make a horse collar? I don't.

snailgate
Well, you are not going to book the trip, you don’t know what you are missing. You won’t have to worry about chopping wood we would have women for that; your ax is for chopping the enemy. And spectacle you won’t need any StickING SPECtacle ….you will die before your forty. Yes, I can make a horse collar, and I can make wheels. I have never made a horse collar, but I have made wheels. I needed for them for the cart I used to move the sailboat I made. Making a horse collar wouldn’t be too hard; it would be a matter of selecting the correct fork of a tree branch.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The village idiot would prefer to go back to a time before the development of language, because he would be more capable of uttering sense with grunts and gestures than by using words.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:37 pm

Or this one ... the first minute and a half pretty well covers it....
Thanks for that! I wish there were a Spike Jones on the tee-vee today, I would watch the hell out of that. A million years ago I played in a spoof lounge act; we billed ourselves as the spawn of an unnatural union between Spike Jones and Allan Sherman.
GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Thanks for that! I wish there were a Spike Jones on the tee-vee today, I would watch the hell out of that. A million years ago I played in a spoof lounge act; we billed ourselves as the spawn of an unnatural union between Spike Jones and Allan Sherman.
Back in the 1940s while she was still in high school (and right afterwards, before she got married and had me), my mother used to sing professionally on the radio.  She was also seriously into recorded music, and at one time I think she had just about every resin/shellac 78-rpm recording that Spike Jones ever released.  And that is where I got my appreciation (or depreciation) for Spike Jones.

I also remember Allan Sherman, and not just for his recordings.  His autobiography, "A Gift of Laughter", is well worth reading, as is his controversial book, "The Rape of the A*P*E* (American Puritan Ethic): The Official History of the Sexual Revolution" ... if you can find a copy (it's been out-of-print for years, more is the pity).

So it is safe to assume that this would have been something I would have actually paid money to see.
(the lounge act; not the unnatural union ... although who knows??)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:25 pm
So it is safe to assume that this would have been something I would have actually paid money to see.
(the lounge act; not the unnatural union ... although who knows??)
We had a very small but very devoted fan base. My two bandmates were both stand-up comics on the regional circuit, and the act originated when we were in a bar late one night getting very drinky and wondering, "What would it be like if Yoko Ono did a cover of The Girl From Ipanema?" It made us laugh so hard we had to do it.
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

I really like the stuff these guys are putting out.

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

This song speaks to our primal roots...

liberty

Post by liberty »

Gob wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:34 pm
I really like the stuff these guys are putting out.

I like the music and I really can’t say be specific why I do in terms of the music itself. It is primitive music, and that is about the only description I can give it. I close my eyes and relax, and music transports me to a time when we did not have modern-day worries. One lived in a society where everyone around you was someone you loved. There were no enemies among the people in which you lived. The enemy was those other people. It was a time when there were no class distinctions. Every man was expected to be a warrior. But all men were equal and the chief ruled by the consent of the people. And during the golden age of the horse on the steppes, there was no poverty.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I think this is all horrible cultural appropriation. Let the primitive Europeans enjoy their music in peace
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:roll:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

What's with the fixation for antlers? Honestly, I don't get it.
GAH!