Medical Arts... Update

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
RayThom

Medical Arts... Update

Post by RayThom »

So, here's where I have been.

On February 26th I entered UofP Presby/Philly hospital for a TOTAL GASTRECTOMY WITH ESOPHAGOENTEROSTOMY.

I'm still here with a "possible" discharge on Monday.

So many complications, procedures, and precautions -- it's a literal chart buster.

My life has changed forever, but at least I'm still on this side of the sod.

What's new with you?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Re: Medical Arts... Update

Post by Scooter »

Sorry you're going through that, it sounds pretty brutal, hoping you're soon on your way to recovering.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Sorry to hear about all that you've been going through, Ray (not to mention all that's been going through you). But yeah, this is still the more interesting side of the sod. You seem like a pretty adaptable kind of guy, but no one should have to adapt to "my life has changed forever" too many times...

ETA: Sheesh, I had to look up that word "esophagoenterostomy" (well, it makes sense that you need one of those once your stomach goes missing) and like Scooter said, it does sound pretty brutal. Thoughts and prayers and luck and hope and strength, buddy.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Hoping for the best, Ray. Thanks for updating us.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Wow ! your hospital is more hospitable than the one I was in in January. From your posts here in the new digs I thought you were home and making a good recovery. Science marches on and I hope you do\find much to enjoy as you continue on this side of the sod.

Snailgate.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Ray, I'm really sorry and shocked to hear about your situation. I wish the absolute best for you and I'll say a non-prayer to help you out.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

You know, RayT . . . whether you want 'em or not, here they go. And you, you stay.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

RayThom - be well. Sending you healing thoughts.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Wishing you all the best Ray.
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

Sounds horrendous mate, glad you are looking at recovery though!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Hang in there Ray; wishes for a comfortable recovery. Your attitude will help you through it all.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Ray. You're getting the best care at Penn-Presbyterian; I hardly ever sue them. ;)
GAH!

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

this is still the more interesting side of the sod.
We don't actually know that.

Sorry to hear this, it is an ordeal. I haven't worked med surg in a while so I am not up on the latest, but I would imagine that the diet you will have to follow will be similar to that of a barbaric surgery patient? No bread, tiny meals and so forth? Still and all better than tube feeding. Lots of vitamins?

Keep us posted.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Glad to hear you are doing well, Ray. And as TP said, keep us posted.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

TP? She’s in high demand these days
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Medical Arts... Update

Post by RayThom »

Thanks for all your well wishes.

I've had major illnesses most of my adult life and I've dealt with them as they manifested. What gets me is that I never, ever, thought it would be cancer (T3/T4) that had the best chance of taking me out.

I've promised my daughter that I would take the surgery, chemo, and possible radiation therapy route, at least initially, to let her know it's worth it for me to stick around for a while longer. I am now 71 years old and, if I go into remission, that will probably give me another six years or so before the cancer makes a recurrence. I will not go through with even half of these procedures again at the age of 77 +/-.

Of course, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

FWIW -- many people tell me it's due to the superior skills of the surgical team that my PCP pulled together that has gotten me this far. I dispute this. I feel strongly that it due to all the collective thoughts and prayers from my Thursday evening bible study group that has saved me. Hallelujah!

I'll keep you updated.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

FWIW -- many people tell me it's due to the superior skills of the surgical team that my PCP pulled together that has gotten me this far. I dispute this. I feel strongly that it due to all the collective thoughts and prayers from my Thursday evening bible study group that has saved me. Hallelujah!
I wouldn't throw either team under the bus...yet. ;)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here’s some more for you, RT - wishing you the best possible outcomes. :hug:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:28 am

Oh.... tots and pears.
NOW I get it.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?