All Creatures Great and Small

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
TPFKA@W

All Creatures Great and Small

Post by TPFKA@W »

This was and is one of my all time favorite British exports. As a teen I devoured the books and we always watched the series as available. I got my husband hooked and we recently watched 3 season of it on Britbox on Prime. Now I find PBS is doing a reboot. I am sure we will tune in, but the new cast has some big shoes to fill.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sp ... and-small/

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: All Creatures Great and Small

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I remember watching the BBC adaptation when it was on PBS here in the states.  Didn't the actual author, James Wight (who wrote under the pen name of James Herriot, as he was still a practicing vet and professional etiquette/ethics frowned upon veterinary surgeons and other professionals advertising their services — my, how times have changed!), serve as a consultant/technical advisor for the original BBC series?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Alfred (Alf) Wight. And no, he was still practicing at the time and was not a consultant. When they show was doing local filming, he did interact with the cast though, but had no formal role.

One of my heroes. I devoured all of his books, including the kids ones, and watched all of the shows. I spent a lot of time preparing to be a vet, and only went to law school at the, sorta, end (my undergrad degree is in Animal Science).

My sister told me about the remake over the holidays. Can’t wait!!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:12 am
Now I find PBS is doing a reboot.
Oh god NO!!!!!

They'll set it in America, ladle on the saccharine, and turn nit into some "woke" version of Little House on the Prairie!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

:hug:
Gob wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:19 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:12 am
Now I find PBS is doing a reboot.
Oh god NO!!!!!

They'll set it in America, ladle on the saccharine, and turn nit into some "woke" version of Little House on the Prairie!!
Someone didn’t read the article.

Gob

Post by Gob »

OK< you got me there, I didn't

They'll still fuck it up, ladle on the saccharine, and turn nit into some "woke" version of ACGAS though.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Gob wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:28 pm
OK< you got me there, I didn't

They'll still fuck it up, ladle on the saccharine, and turn nit into some "woke" version of ACGAS though.

It does seem to be the trend. There will need to be some diversity sprinkled in that was absent in the original. How many gay, brown Muslims do you think they will add? I am sure Thrisk had gays, but I don’t recall any mention of them.

Gob

Post by Gob »

A "disabled, lesbian, elderly, Somali refugee, single-parent" covers most bases in one person.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

"Diff-abled" you mean. And you forgot "Covid and/or HIV positive" and "plus size". And you need to remove the sexism and put "homosexual" instead of lesbian.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:27 am
"Diff-abled" you mean. And you forgot "Covid and/or HIV positive" and "plus size". And you need to remove the sexism and put "homosexual" instead of lesbian.
I see you are woke. Please go back to sleep.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

That's right pick on the eldzzzzzzz
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

The series was a gem. PBS got to pick the best of BBC so it seemed like everything British was excellent. Then came the Teletubbies.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Long Run wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:11 pm
The series was a gem. PBS got to pick the best of BBC so it seemed like everything British was excellent. Then came the Teletubbies.
Well, consider the audience for which "Teletubbies" was intended.  Hardly the same one that was watching ACGAS, or even "Two's Company".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:44 am

Well, consider the audience for which "Teletubbies" was intended.  
Trump voters?

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

In its category, Teletubbies was pretty awful, and awful for a parent to have to sit through. Thomas the Tank Engine on the other hand, was up there in the top group of young child shows.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Well of course Teletubbies was fine until Jerry Falwell warned us all that Tinky Winky was gay.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Long Run wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:24 pm
In its category, Teletubbies was pretty awful, and awful for a parent to have to sit through. Thomas the Tank Engine on the other hand, was up there in the top group of young child shows.
Big fan of Thomas. And all his train buddies.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké